Arizona Cafe Meet Up!!!

Real Name
Chris
A couple weeks ago, several members from central Arizona expressed interest in a Nikon Cafe get together in the Phoenix area. I was (graciously) volunteered to coordinate the meet up, so what I need from you is:

1) a location. The biggest consideration is the weather. If it's outside, there should be ample shade. If it's inside, the place should be party friendly. It should also be centrally located. It takes a couple hours to drive from one end of 'The Valley' to the other.

2) a date and time. Everybody who wants to attend should be able to make it.

3) theme possibilities. What do you want to do? Talk, shoot, eat, water ski, stalk javalina ... The possibilities are endless.

So please anybody from Phoenix, reply here with suggestions for #1, 2 and 3. Thank you!

(PS, after everybody has a chance to see this announcement, I'll move this thread to the 'Special Sessions' forum.)

Chris101 said:
A couple weeks ago, several members from central Arizona expressed interest in a Nikon Cafe get together in the Phoenix area. I was (graciously) volunteered to coordinate the meet up, so what I need from you is:

1) a location. The biggest consideration is the weather. If it's outside, there should be ample shade. If it's inside, the place should be party friendly. It should also be centrally located. It takes a couple hours to drive from one end of 'The Valley' to the other.

2) a date and time. Everybody who wants to attend should be able to make it.

3) theme possibilities. What do you want to do? Talk, shoot, eat, water ski, stalk javalina ... The possibilities are endless.

So please anybody from Phoenix, reply here with suggestions for #1, 2 and 3. Thank you!

(PS, after everybody has a chance to see this announcement, I'll move this thread to the 'Special Sessions' forum.)
Chris :

Are the next door neighbours invited to this ? If I'm not on the run elsewhere with my work, I might be able to get out to see the "dry heat"...

... and I've already stalked javalina.

John P.

Chris101 said:
John, Everyone is invited!

PJohnP said:
... and I've already stalked javalina.

Me too, but brought home no pictures.
Chris :

Here are a couple for you.

JavelinaNo23634_L.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

JavelinaNo39536_L.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

This was in Big Bend National Park in March, after sunset. I shot in the midst of a herd of maybe eighteen of them, using flash. I tried to get down to their level so they wouldn't be spooked. The last shot was when the alpha male's hackles began to rise. I took this as a sign for care and before I got spooked, cautiously crept away. Great fun !

John P.

Chris101 said:

Chris, thanks for graciously accepting the assignment. LOL I'll get back to you on my suggestions for when, where, and what. And, I'll look for it in the Special Sessions forum. Thanks.

By the way, is there a story behind this avatar?

Hi Chris,

Would really enjoy getting together with everyone. My wife would probably join us if that OK.

My schedule limits me to Saturdays until November.

I'm really open as to where and what. If everyone wants to head to Prescott or Payson area where it might be a little cooler thats fine or staying around Phoenix is OK to.

Lets hear what others have to say.

Thanks Chris for heading this up!

Jack

Real Name
Chris
Kim: I'll be looking for your suggestions. I took the shot with a Coolpix 950, a piece of 89B gelatin infrared filter taped over the flash, and a SB50DX off to the side. I was trying to look serious.

Jack: I'm free-est on Saturdays too. Prescott has a beautiful park right in the center of town that is always full of colorful folk to shoot. Or photograph if that's your thing. Plus there are several, um ..., establishments we could retire to if the heat becomes oppresive. I like the 'out of town' idea, but that may limit participation.

And yes - family's (and/or friends) are invited!!!

Chris -

Here's my responses:

I'm easy here. I can travel. Or we can do it at my house. It's located in Chandler about 6 miles from the Chandler Mall where the 202 currently ends. If we agree on this location, I'll divulge its actual, secret location to selected people on a need to know basis.

Date and time

I'm a retired man of liesure, so I'm easy here, too. Just can't do anything until after July 8. We'll be in Montreal until then, where I'm planning on meeting up with Yves at some point.

Theme

This is easy. The theme should be "What does Chris really look like?" We could wear masks that portray our best guesses.

Seriously, the first get together should probably be more conversation than anything else. Need to get it out of the way who's got what, which one's bigger, who knows their butt from a hole in the ground, who's a pompous jerk, etc. etc.

Mike

Chris / all,
I'm game for Saturdays. I think I'm out of town the last week in July and the second weekend in August, but other than that it's week by week, so just throw something out there and I'll check with the Department of Lifestyle Management. :)

Place - I'm flexible, can travel, wouldn't mind conversation for the first time either.

Theme - I was thinking if we're going to meet up for conversation, we could shoot each other with avatars in mind. That might be fun, assuming people aren't camera shy ... we know Chris isn't. [grin]

Real Name
Chris
I'm tied up all weekend long for the 4th and I too may be (hope to be!) out of town later in July.

How does the 9th (a Saturday) sound to y'all?

We have one vote for Chandler, the scorpion capital of Arizona. We'd need to find a place that could accomodate what, 12-15 people. Indoors or outside if it's shaded and preferably misted.

Everybody is invited of course, including spouses, significant others, kids and out of town visitors. Cameras could be brought and photos taken. And I'm thinking mid-to-late afternoon?

Ok, now y'all come up with some other - more specific - suggestions or just sign on to Chandler.

PS, all my avatars look just like me.

Chris - The 9th sounds good to me.

Mike - If the group gets to large for you we could always meet at the mall and go from there.

Kim - Avatars is a great idea, I'll have to remember to bring my hairpiece.

Scott - Always nice to meet up with another Easterner.

John - Yes, if you can make it please join in. The more we have the more fun it will be.

Jack

JackG said:
Chris - The 9th sounds good to me.
John - Yes, if you can make it please join in. The more we have the more fun it will be.
Jack :

Well, we'll see what I can arrange. I'm up to my hips in work at this moment, so I'm unsure about being able to either drive or fly out for the 9th, but I'll let you folks know in plenty of time.

Thanks for the invite.

John P.

Got the date wrong . . .

We're returning from Montreal ON the 9th. Won't even land until 5 pm that day.

If the 9th it has to be, I'll join you in spirit as my legs start cramping somewhere about 90 minutes out of Chicago.

Mike

Real Name
Chris
Re: Got the date wrong . . .

Mike Worley said:
We're returning from Montreal ON the 9th. Won't even land until 5 pm that day.

If the 9th it has to be, I'll join you in spirit as my legs start cramping somewhere about 90 minutes out of Chicago.

Mike

We'll be the people partying in your back yard! ;)

I'm outa town the next 2 weekends, so maybe Sunday 7-10? Otherwise 7-31 or later?

You can sign me up for the 7-31 date.

I do like the Avatar idea, however this is what I really look like :wink:
As for travel I can get there if I remember where Chandler is. :lol:

The 9th and 31st are good for me as well, but Jack can only do Saturdays.

This is what we should do. Everyone list every Saturday from here until 2012, okay maybe only through August this year and indicate whether you're free or busy. Something like,
#/## - free
#/## - busy

I'll check with The Department of Lifestyle Management again to find out what Saturdays look like for me and write back. Everyone else do the same. Sound good?

Latest threads

Top Bottom