Arizona Desert scene, Kingman

Stitched in Photoshop
Bull Dollar.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Any suggestions appreciated. :)

Real Name
Alex
Nice, I like it but I find it a little too bright. I would reduce brightness, and increase contrast a tad, and maybe work with vibrance and saturation a bit too, adding a little more, but reducing luminance in the yellow vegetation.

Nice, I like it but I find it a little too bright. I would reduce brightness, and increase contrast a tad, and maybe work with vibrance and saturation a bit too, adding a little more, but reducing luminance in the yellow vegetation.
Thank you very much! That was the feedback I was seeking. I'll play around with it a little and repost.

I played around with brightness, contrast, vibrance, saturation and yellow luminance and came up with this. I like it better.
dollar gen alexf contrast.jpg

Last edited:
Using Photoshop tools:
Bull Dollar B and W 1000.jpg

I think I did adjust too far. Maybe this is a reasonable compromise
Bull Dollar comprimise.jpg

Added just a little vibrance, trying not to overdo it. Didn't touch the saturation.
Bull Dollar compromise sat.jpg

Added contrast, nothing else.
Bull Dollar B and W 1000 contrast.jpg

I think I did adjust too far. Maybe this is a reasonable compromise View attachment 1684968 .
Miriam -

For what's it's worth - I like this one just as much as your 1st above. Both convey, for me at least, just how dry and parched the landscape is out around there these days. I'd been down there a coupla years ago when the area had had a bit more moisture. Also - just as an opinion: your B&W conversion above could have benefited from stronger contrast, and perhaps a high key treatment. That's just me - good onya for getting out there with the camera and for sharing these with us.

I think I prefer your edited version in post #11. To my eyes, the shrubbery in post #4 is too yellow and overly saturated.

Most software editors will allow you to selectively adjust colors...brightness, hue and/or saturation. This makes it easier to select just the sky, for example, to adjust the brightness or hue of just the blue colors in the frame. Using Photoshop's many selection tools, targeting certain colors or luminosities for a variety of adjustments can become very refined.

In the end, I like your composition. And, if anything is to be learned from this thread it's that every viewer will have an opinion based upon his/her taste. But ultimately it's your opinion as the artist that matters.

Glenn

Miriam -

For what's it's worth - I like this one just as much as your 1st above. Both convey, for me at least, just how dry and parched the landscape is out around there these days. I'd been down there a coupla years ago when the area had had a bit more moisture. Also - just as an opinion: your B&W conversion above could have benefited from stronger contrast, and perhaps a high key treatment. That's just me - good onya for getting out there with the camera and for sharing these with us.
Thanks, Eric, Appreciate the comment. Yes, we are very parched. Hope we get our monsoons back, soon! I'm going to play around with the B&W a little. Thanks for helping!
I think I prefer your edited version in post #11. To my eyes, the shrubbery in post #4 is too yellow and overly saturated.

Most software editors will allow you to selectively adjust colors...brightness, hue and/or saturation. This makes it easier to select just the sky, for example, to adjust the brightness or hue of just the blue colors in the frame. Using Photoshop's many selection tools, targeting certain colors or luminosities for a variety of adjustments can become very refined.

In the end, I like your composition. And, if anything is to be learned from this thread it's that every viewer will have an opinion based upon his/her taste. But ultimately it's your opinion as the artist that matters.

Glenn
I like #11 over #4 also. The colors seem more right to me. I think it's a matter of adjusting, then coming back to it with fresh eyes, and readjusting till it starts to look right.

I've been using Lightroom for almost all of my editing, and am impressed with the flexibility. I think I tend to get it pretty close to right in Lightroom, then try to improve it with Photoshop, overdoing it. I use Topaz mostly for exposure correction, and sometimes that makes a nice difference.

Thank you for your comment on the composition! I'm not so much looking for answers as to what looks best. As you say, we all have our own opinion. It's more about getting questions, "Am I lightening up this color too much?" "Are the colors too saturated?" "Is everything a little dull?", "Too little, too much contrast?', etc. I appreciate the feedback I've gotten to help me look at it a little differently.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom