Around the bases at Fenway

Discussion in 'Sports Photography' started by FFLVandals, Jul 23, 2007.

1. I was able to make it to Fenway park for a Sox-Royals game while on vacation this past week and took my new 70-200 vr for the ride. My seats down the third base line about 20 rows up from the field so my reach was a little limited but I was able to take some of these. Seems like most of the good action I caught was on the base paths.

Mike Lowell with the rare steal slides into 2nd base (was actually a botched hit and run) (190 mm f4)
    176289332-L.

Julio Lugo applies the tag just ahead of the runners feet touching 2nd for the out. (200mm f4)
    176291399-L.

Mark Teahan beats the throw to the plate as Doug Mirabelli was trying to block the plate. (200mm f4 iso 800)
    176289470-L.

This one was not a play at a base but a great grab against the wall the led to a double play when Emil Brown leaped and caught this Ortiz hit ( 112 mm f5.6)
    176289608-L.

Any suggestions or insight on best practices with this lense to minimize noise and to help with back focus (in my case it's user error not the lense) I had quite a few shots wide open where I missed the shot because my focus was off. All of these had some slight adjustments in caputre NX but no noise reduction software used. Curious if I would benefit for a higher megapixel with the crop but still enjoying and learning with the d50. Thanks in advance for any comments or advice on how to improve them.

2. ZBaum

ZBaum Guest

Nicely done considering your distance from the field. The D50 is excellent in regards to having low noise at high ISOs. Avoiding focus mistakes at long distances with a shorter lens (at least, short for baseball) can be hard, considering how small the subject is compared to the total frame size. You did well for a first attempt.

3. I'd say for a D50, you got quite good shots (I shoot with one myself). That's a nice lens to have in your kit, but obiously your timing is good as well. A nice vacation bring-back, thanks.

4. Zach and Harry
    Thanks for taking the time to look and comment. I have tried to rely less on just pushing the shutter and holding it down to hope for the best and have tried to work on timing so thanks for noticing. I have tried to focus on the players faces and that's why at times I think I'm missing the spot especially with them moving. I'm gonna try the front of the uniform this coming week. I also think that in moving the focus sensor around for composition it causes me some misses. I had heard that the center spot is the most accurate and the outside edges on the d50 can be less precise. At l

I have really enjoyed this lense and want to keep trying to learn since I am in no way getting the full benefit of it's capacity.

5. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Really cool shots:>))
    Good job