ARRRRRRRRRRRGH!

The Washington Nationals are in the World Series for the first time and it's the first time a team from Washington has been in the World Series since 86 years ago. All morning long (perhaps longer), TuneIn radio has been broadcasting advertisements for Game 1 tonight of the World Series between the Houston Astros and the Washington Capitals. The Capitals are the hockey team for goodness sake!

Last edited:
Interesting enough, last time I was in Montreal back in the 1990's I got free game tickets with my car rental. It was the Expos vs. Astros, don't remember who won, as we left just after the 6th.

The baseball postseason as now constructed is somewhat exhausting with all the layers. It's possible to play 13 postseason games (1 wild card, 5 ALDS, 7 ALCS) without making the World Series, as the Yankees did in 2017. I preferred the old way with the first place team in each league playing in the WS in early October, while the weather was still decent.

Real Name
Walter Rowe
The baseball postseason as now constructed is somewhat exhausting with all the layers. It's possible to play 13 postseason games (1 wild card, 5 ALDS, 7 ALCS) without making the World Series, as the Yankees did in 2017. I preferred the old way with the first place team in each league playing in the WS in early October, while the weather was still decent.
I prefer that too.

Totally agree. Would like to see a match up between Verlander and Scherzer on the mound being from Michigan and seeing the total deconstruction of the Tigers.

what should I look for?

I'm not as familiar with the Astros as the Nats, but I'll give it my best shot. You can probably find good summaries on the Internet.

Astros
First three starting pitchers: Cole, Verlander and Grienke
Altuve -- one of the smallest if not the smallest active player in MLB (5' 6"). Despite his diminutive size, he has no trouble hitting home runs and exactly at the right time.

Nationals
First four starting pitchers: Scherzer, Strasburg, Corbin (though he may be a relief pitcher in the first two games) and Sanchez
Rendon -- strong defense at third base and is having a career year at the plate
Turner -- strong defense at shortstop. I call him Afterburner Turner. One of the fastest in baseball. If he gets on base and tries to steal, he'll probably be safe. He makes baseball fun.
Soto -- average defense in left field. He turns 21 during the World Series and set a bunch of records for 19 and 20 year olds that put him in the elite of all-time young baseball greats
Kendrick -- utility player who will be the pinch hitter when playing in Houston. Regular season batting average close to .350 and doing great in the playoffs

Overall
The pitching match ups are being hailed as those for the ages. Watch for great starting pitching by both teams.
Every prediction I've seen except one is that the series will go six or seven games, so the series has the potential to be a nail-biter for both teams and their fans.
Each game could be won by one bad pitch that becomes a home run. Both teams have an ample supply of home run hitters.
Nationals are the oldest team in MLB; look for what the old guys are capable of doing.
Nationals have had a week off since playing their last game. Astros have had a few days off. Look for symptoms of advantages and disadvantages about that for both teams.

I'm not as familiar with the Astros as the Nats, but I'll give it my best shot. You can probably find good summaries on the Internet.

Astros
First three starting pitchers: Cole, Verlander and Grienke
Altuve -- one of the smallest if not the smallest active player in MLB (5' 6"). Despite his diminutive size, he has no trouble hitting home runs and exactly at the right time.

Nationals
First four starting pitchers: Scherzer, Strasburg, Corbin (though he may be a relief pitcher in the first two games) and Sanchez
Rendon -- strong defense at third base and is having a career year at the plate
Turner -- strong defense at shortstop. I call him Afterburner Turner. One of the fastest in baseball. If he gets on base and tries to steal, he'll probably be safe. He makes baseball fun.
Soto -- average defense in left field. He turns 21 during the World Series and set a bunch of records for 19 and 20 year olds that put him in the elite of all-time young baseball greats
Kendrick -- utility player who will be the pinch hitter when playing in Houston. Regular season batting average close to .350 and doing great in the playoffs

Overall
The pitching match ups are being hailed as those for the ages. Watch for great starting pitching by both teams.
Every prediction I've seen except one is that the series will go six or seven games, so the series has the potential to be a nail-biter for both teams and their fans.
Each game could be won by one bad pitch that becomes a home run. Both teams have an ample supply of home run hitters.
Nationals are the oldest team in MLB; look for what the old guys are capable of doing.

Thanks for the excellent summary, Mike. I remember Verlander and Altuve (previous series?) but none of the others. Since a long series is predicted one team will probably sweep. :D

Latest threads

Top Bottom