1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Arson 10 shots

Discussion in 'Photojournalism, Candids and Street Photography' started by allen sklar, Sep 20, 2008.

1. allen sklar

allen sklar

Apr 7, 2008
    Maryland

For those who have never witnessed the speed at which a fire can spread I offer these ten shots. Time between first small flame and total incineration TWO MINUTES.

272479457_QHdMN-L.

272480867_5EMfr-L.

272479656_ApiJg-L.

272897756_AsDwn-L.

272479835_HTcz4-L.

272480024_4zaxQ-L.

272897885_zpYjz-L.

272480234_nJNJX-L.

272480444_VEsFa-L.

The owner of the property watches as his building burns.

272480678_mgV9A-L.

It was a sad day, the owner and I went to high school together.......allen

The entire gallery can be seen at: www.allensklar.smugmug.com

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 20, 2008
  2. Sounds interesting, but only the dreaded Red-X on my screen.

Don

3. allen sklar

allen sklar

Apr 7, 2008
    Maryland
    I see it fine?

does everyone else see X's???

4. Sorry, nothing here either. I looked at the post and it seems fine.

2008-09-25 Okay now

Rich

5. Sorry, nothing but X's for me either

6. allen sklar

allen sklar

Apr 7, 2008
    Maryland
    well, I'm at a loss, I have not been able to get the pop-up box to add to my url's, so i have been adding them by typing...... this worked when testing and I can see everything fine in preview and on the forum post....someone with a bigger brain than me gotta figure out why the cafe does not like my photographs! They really aren't that bad!

think i got it, the external links in that gallery were turned off....see if this shows up: I still have to type img in though...

[ATTACH=full]255025[/ATTACH]

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 20, 2008
  7. I see all of them..but I have a silly question..

If the 1st picture is of the little flame that started it all..

.. and a fire truck is already sitting there....

.. why isn't the fireman putting out the little flame?

There must have been more to the little flame than what we can see in the 1st picture.

8. Impressive

Impressive, I really like how the pole makes the images almost cartoon like in the close ups...

9. The photos are confusing. I'd like to know the whole story. I'm betting there is more going on that that first flicker of flame in the first shot.

10. vinman

vinman

Nov 15, 2006
    Upstate SC
    That flame in the first shot has got to be the already involved fire coming from a storage area in the back. By the time it got that far, it was probably already in the walls and underway upstairs. That, coupled with the obvious fuel seen in the shop, would make a structure fire like this go from bad to out of control in a minute or two.

Of course, the title of the thread suggests something is amiss...

11. WOW....I know a fire can explode from a "innocent"flame to a roaring blaze in split seconds,but seeing these pictures made me think the firebrigade hooked the hose on the fueltank instead of the watertank.
    Sad thing when you see your lifeswork be gone in minutes.Not to mention all the paperwork thats comming up.

12. allen sklar

allen sklar

Apr 7, 2008
    Maryland
    the fire..

....was indeed started in the back of the building outside the wall that is in the back of the tee shirt shop, it was burning for probably 10 or 15 minutes before I got there. I assume, but don't know, that no one knew the full extent of the fire already burning in the back of the building hence the closeness of the truck to the fire. The fireman in the bucket almost got cooked. He put his protective head gear on with only seconds to spare.
    The building contained two stores, a pizza place that was run by the property owner and a tee shirt shop that he rented out. The arsonist has been arrested.

Thanks for looking! www.allensklar.smugmug.com

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 21, 2008
  13. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    Allan :

Fascinating series of photos.

As a person who's investigated these sorts of things, let me make the comment that there's a very critical judgment call for the responding firefighters to make about rescue efforts, and then suppression efforts. When a rescue isn't required, it's important for the firefighters to assess the fire spread to determine if they can safely undertake suppression, and tough as it sounds, in some cases, the prudent course is to work on the fire from the outside and not put firefighters' lives at unnecessary risk by entering the structure.

The speed with which fire spreads is vastly underestimated in the media, especially television shows and movies, so that critical split-second assessment is literally the difference between life and death for firefighters. As fine a series of photos as these are, it's not really possible to make that judgment from these photos (with no disrespect whatsoever aimed at Allen's work).

I'd have to immediately defer to the decision made by the people on the scene.

Most excellent news.

John P.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.