Art

Discussion in 'Film Forum' started by Chris101, Jul 1, 2008.

1. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    My question is, should I crop it or keep the perspective that makes the artist look as small as she is?

[​IMG]

By the way, we had been looking at a book about Magritte, and she drew a picture of an ice cream cone. Then she wrote "this is not ice cream" on it. I was impressed.

2. Here's the answer to your dilemma:biggrin::

1. What was your objective when taking the picture?
    2. Is the young artist the subject of the photo?
    3. Are all the elements of the image the subject(s)?
    4. Would a crop add or subtract from your objective?
    5. Are you satisfied with the image as is?

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2008
  3. Good questions above. Without knowing your answers Chris, I say crop. I would crop to the left of her and leave the other desk in the photo. I just don't get anything from the wall on the left other than adding to the space. Again, if that is what you were going for, then it definitely works.

4. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Thanks Ray. Those look more like questions to me. And a lot more than I started out with! To please her mother, yes and her surroundings, perhaps, I would need to do so and see - my initial crop did not look that good, yes I guess I am.Ok then. See my reply to Anthony below, and stand by ...

In this picture I want her to look small Anthony. I have another framing, which I will post this evening where she takes up more of the frame. Then I will be more able to judge the effect of the wall, etc. Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  5. Oh, did I mention that I rather like pic as is! But then again it's not my image!:biggrin:

6. I like it the way it is. I don't see anything cropping would improve in this shot, more likely, especially since this is film, it would bring more into view imperfections (for one with the large DOF, background objects loose their contribution to the frame and just become annoying). If anything, it might be even better even wider.
    Thanks for sharing this Chris.

7. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Thanks Tim. I scanned the film at 4000 dpi, so it will still stand a bit more enlargement before it starts to break down, but I know what you mean. I find that I am liking the corner cube perspective here. The other one is much more rectangular.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  8. I like the corner cube perspective as well, but I just think the left wall is too busy and distracting. If the wall was the same as the wall on the right, I think this would work better for me. But, who am I to judge... when it comes to "seeing", you are light years ahead of me. I would take what I say and then do the opposite! :biggrin:

By the way, I like the other one better. But, not because of the crop, but because I like that she is focused on the task at hand rather than you.