Arta | Epirus | Greece

Discussion in 'Special Sessions, Events, and Tour Announcements' started by Panos Kazanelis, Sep 10, 2005.

1. I know this is NOT an easy trip to most people, but it should generate some photo-holiday ideas... One of the cities of the Epirus region is Arta...

Arta is the quintessential small Greek city. It is situated on the north of the Ambracian golf and its location as a gateway between southern Greece and the rest of Epirus has bestowed the city of Arta with commercial and military significance. Arta means Fort, Fortress.
    original.

Arta prefecture is one of the least affluent regions of Greece and it is largely untouched by tourism. Its charm today may very well be due to the fact that it has remained outside the scope of travel agents. There are however some very good reasons that one can point his path towards the Arta area.
    original.

The most famous landmark of Arta is its legendary stone bridge which was built in 1602 and it spans with its beautiful arches the width of Artachthos river. The Arta bridge is a visual delight and for centuries it has acquired mythical proportions with numerous legends taking shape around its carefully placed stones. The most famous legend is the one that details the bridge's creation as an improbable feat in the midst of an endless cycle of destruction and rebuilding.
    original.

...more on Greece and Epirus in the days to come... (I have to process some 4,000 imgs first)

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 10, 2005
  2. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    I love that bridge pic! I really does look like there were issues surrounding it's creation. The angle at the peak looks ... unnatural!

Thanks for sharing these images Panos. I may never get to see that part of the world except through photo-essayists like you. How's the night-life in Arta? :wink:

3. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

4. hans

hans

Feb 5, 2005
    The Netherlands
    Panos last one is wonderfull,why don't you hub over in October or November to Portugal while I'm working there ?

Did you get any replies on the EU get together?

5. Chris, the bridge looks "un-natural" indeed but that's its beauty I guess... I will provide more angles shortly... the night-life in Arta is very interesting and the northern Greek women are amazing and very ..."vivid" in character... :eek:

Paul, the CP on the 12-24mm really makes the difference but it really needs caution in use and the use of angled sunlight in the frame. The 81B does really "warm up" things... :smile:

Hans, October is a full hands month for me, too. However, we could arrange a get-together for November. I will know for sure in 2-3 weeks... The EU Gathering is not going very well, only a few replies... I think we have to use some teasers here... :wink: