Artie Traum Memorial Concert

Discussion in 'Photojournalism, Candids and Street Photography' started by jjdesanto1, Jul 27, 2008.

1. jjdesanto1

jjdesanto1

May 1, 2005
    Warwick, N.Y.
    John DeSanto
    As most of you know, when I run low on shooters I'm forced into action myself. Thursday was one of those days - one photographer on medical leave, one on vacation, one at the Empire State Games, etc. So I hoofed it up to Woodstock, N.Y. for the sad task of shooting a memorial service for Artie Traum, a brilliant musician who died way too young. (Some of you oldsters will remember him as half of the folk duo of Artie and Happy Traum from the 60's and 70's.)

Most all of the Woodstock music community turned out with more than 500 people crammed into the 250-seat Bearsville Theater. Performers included Artie's close friends John Sebastian, Livingston Taylor, Levon Helm and Larry Campbell. I got there early (good thing) and staked out a place at stage right at the top of the handicapped ramp along with a couple of TV guys. What transpired was three wonderful hours of remembrances and song as the Woodstock community paid tribute.

For photographic purposes the lighting was horrible. Three single red lights on center stage, everything else - after the intro - was turned down low. The only reading I could get was wide open, 1600 iso at between 1/20th and 1/40th of a second. I used monopods - 80-200 f2.8 on one camera, 28-70 f2.8 on the other - to have a fighting chance. Pete Levin, one of the great keyboard players, was kind enough to hold my second monopod/camera rig when I wasn't using it. (Thanks Pete!) It was just an amazing three hours.

Happy Traum handles the eulogy for his brother:

100703644.gif

John Sebastian says a few words about his friend:

View attachment 227643

And then blew a mean musical tribute:

View attachment 227644

Levon Helm sat way back in the shadows, so it was tough pulling him out:

View attachment 227645

Story here, photos here, video here.

2. WOW what a tribute, I have seen Levon Helm a bunch of tiem glad to see he is doign wel even though his bout with throat cancer

3. i bet that was some concert
    what a wonderful tribute
    nice captures
    i like the lighting

4. jjdesanto1

jjdesanto1

May 1, 2005
    Warwick, N.Y.
    John DeSanto
    Thanks for the kind words, guys.

5. good work John. This one had to be an honor to cover.