Artwork, or the 75 vs the 35-100

I've now had a chance to use the 75 and the 35-100 on several trips to area festivals. I found the 75 to long if I'm sitting up close to a show, and not long enough if I'm in the back. The 75 has quickly become legendary with it's sharpness and it's indeed a pleasure to shoot with - everything good that has been said about it is true in my experience. The 35-100 is also a very good lens. It's not quite up to the 75's well deserved reputation for sharpness, but I don't think it's that far behind. The 75 @ f/1.8 will of course give you a little shallower DOF than the zoom at 75mm f/2.8 - noticeable but not earth shattering. It's stellar at f/4 but I'd say it's still very good at f/2.8 - both are very well built lens. Comparing the shots I've taken these last few months, I believe the 35-100 will become my lens of choice for dynamic situations where the distance from me to the subject at hand is fluid - for the same reason the legendary 70-200's are the lens of choice for so many DSLR shooters.

For those who might be struggling with the choice of which lens to get - I'm not going to be of any help here :smile: it's still a question of zoom vs. prime, of cost (the prime being somewhat less expensive), and of your style of shooting. For me, I feel extremely lucky to have both lens available to me and will look for reasons to use both.

Oh yea, the artwork is behind the pretty lady in the first shot :biggrin:

75mm @1.8 - some cropping
8847350764_486c06e63b_b.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

2013-05-25_P5256516_.jpg by Michael Presley, on Flickr

35-100 - 100mm @2.8 - a lot of cropping
8631213643_a8bd451aaf_b.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

2013-04-06_P4061028_Copy 2.jpg by Michael Presley, on Flickr

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom