Aruba Sunsets

Discussion in 'Landscapes, Architecture, and Cityscapes' started by tcgallup, Jul 3, 2008.

1. tcgallup

tcgallup Guest

Please let me know what you think. i am still learning.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. ghursh

ghursh

Jul 3, 2007
    Gilbert, AZ
    very nice...

3. Terri French

Terri French

May 5, 2005
    Idaho
    I love the first one. I would love to see a bit more detail brought out in the dark areas of the second one. The water in it could be really stunning if it was a bit brighter. BTW, welcome to the cafe. I would love to be sitting in one of those beach chairs in the first shot!!

4. tcgallup

tcgallup Guest

Thanks for the comments, i am still very new with a lot of this stuff, but am learning. It was very relaxing sitting on the beach, it was our last vacation without a baby, so it was meant to be relaxing.

Here is another couple i took that i really like.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks again

5. Terri French

Terri French

May 5, 2005
    Idaho
    These last three are great, too. Your composition is very nice. There are a few post processing steps that could really improve these photos. What software are you using? I would be happy to show you a couple of simple things if I know what you are using.

Are you shooting RAW?

By, the way.....all of us are still learning here. It's a great place to learn if you are willing to take suggestions from others. I don't always agree with their suggestions, but I always take them seriously and try to learn something new. I think you'll like it here, and we'll enjoy having you. From what I see in these few photos here, I think you have a good eye.

6. Very promising. I like this one, maybe a little brighter but not much.
    I notice that all your shots, bar the palm trees/pool shot have horizons that slope to the right. You might want to watch that.

7. tcgallup

tcgallup Guest

Wow... thanks for all the comments. These were all shot in jpg fine on a D80 with a few different lenses. i have a couple in RAW that i have not processed yet, i have both capture NX and Photoshop C3 but i am not good with either yet.

I never noticed the tilt until you just said something, i will have to watch that.

8. I think they're fantastic!!

I'm still very much a beginner, too, but I noticed that a lot of your subjects are centered on the frame. On some of them, it might have made it a bit more interesting/dynamic to off-center the subject. For example, in the shot of the Bon Bini boat (which I love!). Perhaps if you moved the lens down and to the left, so the boat was more in the upper right corner? I say move down because the sky is boring compared to the awesome water, and move to the left because that's the direction the boat is pointing.

Again, I still don't really know what I'm doing, so take what I say with a grain of salt. :)

Your photos really are gorgeous!

Kristin

9. Terri French

Terri French

May 5, 2005
    Idaho
    Some simple edits can go a long way. I didn't straighten the horizon. But in photoshop I did a levels adjustment and bumped up the saturation. Then I did a simple crop cutting off the blue shadow at the bottom of the photo. All in all it took about 30 seconds.

There are probably lots of online tutorials on levels adjustments. If you can't find one, let me know (although I won't be around much over the weekend).

original.gif

10. tcgallup

tcgallup Guest

Terri

Thanks for the advice, i was able to duplicate the look that you did on the that same picture. Thanks again i will post more pictures again sometime soon.

11. you are doing a great job
    try to remember that TAKING the picture is only HALF of what's needed to get ready to saved or print a memory
    every pictures that comes out of your digital camera needs post-processing
    every single one

here's one of yours.... that i just love
    i adjusted the horizon and brightness a bit
    and cropped off some of the top.... so that the horizon placement would follow the "rule of thirds"
    http://digital-photography-school.com/blog/rule-of-thirds/
    i hope you don't mind that i post this... since terri did above first

325513043_R3y59-O.jpg

i can certainly remove it, if you like
    everything i learned to do this... was from folks here at THE CAFE

soon, you'll be teaching others... i promise

12. tcgallup

tcgallup Guest

i dont mind you posting at all, it looks great. I am just learning so thanks for all the help.

Tom

13. tcgallup

tcgallup Guest

Here is one that i processed in PS. Let me know your comments...

[​IMG]

Thanks

14. Nice pictures! I love Aruba... is that the Radisson?

15. weinlamm

weinlamm

Jul 7, 2008
    Germany

That reminds me of my last holiday... only some days left to the next... :rolleyes:

I love the colours of the sky!

16. Very nice stuff.... Aruba is nice. I went to Curacao and it was very similar as well.

17. tcgallup

tcgallup Guest

Yes it is the Radisson, we love it there, our 5th trip to Aruba and 3rd at the Radisson.

Thank you all for the comments