Arum flower with D2X

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by Jerry Snider, May 27, 2005.

1. Jerry Snider

Jerry Snider

May 8, 2005
    Attached is a pic of an Arum flower taken in full, deep shade.

[​IMG]

As you can see it was shot at f16 @ 1 sec with a D2X. Used a Gitzo 1348 tripod and Arca Swiss ball head. This is about the only remotely decent shot with the camera over the past 4 days. Really struggled to get the photo sharp and had to sharpen in Photoshop far higher than usual. No, there was no breeze and the flower was surrounded by deep vegetation. Would really appreciate any comments, no matter how harsh, re the photo, my techniques, even my comments.
    In my film days when I moved up to a "better" camera, say to a F100 or F5, the results reflected this, i.e. more/better tool to work with. Doesn't seem to be the case with this camera (at least for me). I don't mind putting in a long learning curve, but the softness of the original pictures make me awfully nervous. An F6 is beginning to look awfully good at the moment.
    Sorry for the diatribe and apologize if I have been insensitive. Not meant to be a camera bash.
    my best,
    Jerry Snider

2. Hi Jerry,

I really like this picture. It sharpened nicely. Did you use the 5T on your 80-200mm for this shot? If so, how close were you to the subject? I got the 6T today from B&H but haven't had time to play with it yet. According to the instruction sheet the 6T should give almost a 1:1 at 200mm from roughly 20". That's provided I interpreted the sheet properly.

On another note it took me a few weeks to switch from the D70 to the D2H. All the pics seemed "wrong". Once I dialed it in to my liking the pictures were much better. It took a fair amount of reading and experimenting to learn how to set the camera. I'm sure you'll figure it out.

Best wishes,

3. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Jerry,

I can understand your concerns, but I think that you will be fine. How long have you had the X? I ask because I've been looking at your shots for the past several weeks, and in my recollection, they were generally excellent.

This shot for example is very good. Are your problems mostly focus, or exposure? If focus, there is some chance that you got one of the X's that did have focus problems.

Post some more shots and let us see the problem.

4. Jerry Snider

Jerry Snider

May 8, 2005
    Overall the pics look, for lack of a better term, "soft", i.e. as if a slight Gaussian Blur has been applied, or as if I had forgotten my glasses when viewing the picture! Exposure is not a problem at all--great in that respect.
    It is most pronounced with the 80-200 zoom.
    More pics will come later.
    My best,
    Jerry Snider

5. Nice shot, Jerry!! :D :D :D