As of today I'm...

Now you can join NPS and spend all the money you don't have on equipment - going directly to the front of the queue.

Redundnacy really sucks - it happened to me about 14 years ago - but it is survivable. Good luck

It's things like that that will only push you to be better at what you do and make you want to suceed even more ! Good luck with that mate :wink:

Hi Guy

Everyday in the UK we are are hearing of redundancy. Its great that you have something to step straight into. Hope it works well

stew

.....fully professional.

I got made redundant this week and it's now 100% photography for me.

Wish me luck.
Sorry to hear about the redundancy, but as my Mom always said "Everything happens for a reason". You may not see it now, but this may be the best thing for you. Do you get some sort of what we call "unemployment insurance" in the UK? When I got sick, I had to retire on disability compensation, and now I'm free to pursue my photography. So things worked out for the best.

If you can get a hold of a copy of April 2008 Outdoor Photographer, there is a super article called "Second Career: Living The Dream". I'm not sure if they have it online or maybe you could try the library. If not, let me know and I'll scan it and email it to you.

Lots of LUCK!
Carole

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks all - I come away with 3 months salary and we're good for 4-5 months beyond that assuming no other income beyond today's. I'm hopeful I can step off the corporate treadmill and if it doesn't work then at least I tried. I was made redundant in 2000 and didn't have an alternative then, but now I do.

I'd be grateful for that article Carole.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Am so sorry Guy that you've been made redundant, so of course wish you every success in turning your photography into a thriving and rewarding business.

FWIW, I think you have a great attitude and aptitude, it's just maybe not ideal timing but once word of mouth works it's magic hopefully you'll have more work than you can handle and have to expand your business.

If you've never run any business before, do ask someone you know and trust as there are a lot of needless "gotchas", oh and some areas offer grants to small businesses when first getting established, so consider that too.

Good luck!
Thanks Paul (and everyone else).

I've been running the business as a sideline for a couple of years, but need to take this chance to do it full-time. It's got to be worth a shot.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom