As the snow begins melts....

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Doug Barber, Mar 7, 2005.

1. It was time to pull out one of my quad's to (dream) about warmer temps and the day I will head to the bush to take some pictures.
    Sorry I have not been around of late. But it seems that time is short and work is long.
    This image was taken with a 1.75 minute exposure @f-16 with a 17-35mm lens.
    40536234.gif

2. 1.75 minute ??? Did you use a flashlight for lighting? Wow! Nice pic, however you did it...

3. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Greetings my northern neighbor

Very interesting looking shot. I gotta know too, how in the world do you decide just how long to do such a long exposure? Was it Bulb setting, or timer?

4. Doug you have always been one of my favorite photographers. Don't be a stranger to the cafe. We need your talent and kindness as well. Thanks for sharing my friend.

5. Hi David and Steve....
    Yes I painted the light into the scene with a flashlight. The lens was set at the wide end so I could create some interesting light around the bike.
    The painting process takes a little practice. But basically you paint with a flashlight very close to the bike (12" - 24") so you control the light from spilling.
    The camera was set on "bulb" and a timer controlled how long the shutter was left open.
    I'm scheduled to do some portrait work tomorrow using the same process so it will be fun to see how it works out.

6. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

7. Nice photo! When I look at it though, it just screams to put a shotgun on the rear rack and begs to go duck hunting!

I don't know why it made me think that, but I sure would love to ride one around LA and run over some of those yuppie freaks on their cell phones in the city! Okay I need to take my pain meds, because I'm getting too excited! :p

8. Thanks for the info, Doug. I thought that might have been what you did.

Hey Gordon - nice avatar! Starting to make me rethink using a "badge picture" from work... :)

9. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

10. I some how cannot see one running one of these in downtown LA.... Mind you I guess in a place like LA, anything is possible...lol
    Thanks for looking in and its good to see your images again.

11. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Hi Doug,

Very good to see you again.

This image is outstanding.

OH the man of light. :>))

Thank you for sharing.

Regards
    Gale

12. I grew up in the Pacific NW, and the great thing growing up there is, despite living in the city, most people grow up with an outdoor streak regardless. In less than 30 mins, around the city, you enter forest country immediately. It is also part of the education system there to send kids out for a week for outdoor school. Probably one the best things to teach a kid about nature is to put them there.

In regards to LA, yeah anything is possible in the city...it's just too weird!

13. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Got sand?

14. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Very interesting shot Doug, and it is very nice to see you back on the Cafe....;-)

I've been meaning to try this technique since I first saw someone that used it to paint a tree in the dark. Really cool. 8)

Don't be such a stranger.... :wink:

Frank

15. Thanks Chris and Frank....
    Sorry Chris, don't have any sand. but I still have 2-3 ft. of snow.... does that count.
    Frank, this process has a lot of potential if one can take the time to do it right. I've been playing with this quit a bit of late and the more I do it the better I like it.
    I'm scheduled to do portraits tomorrow and on the weekend I'm going "big time" and will try to paint an old farm yard. with the yard I plan on painting parts at a time and then merging the different images together to get the final product.
    Should be fun!!

Thanks again for your kind words...

16. Another way of doing this light feature

Hi Doug,

Instead of using flashlights, you could have used cspringers Paint with Light PS action that I know would have taken you less time than with flashlights. Well, like I said, it is nice either way

Melissa

17. Re: Another way of doing this light feature

Hi:
    I'm not 100% sure what this action is that you speak of but I’m assuming that it will have something to do with changing lightness or darkness of a given image area by painting on either a color dodge or burn layer. If I'm right, this process will take a given image and basically allow the user to burn or dodge different areas. A process like this only works to (enhance) existing light.
    The painting I'm doing it quit frustrating to deal with but it allows you to add light into a scene that starts with non. Yes the room or are you are shooting in is completely dark. So then you "paint" light onto the subject as you think it should be. The down side is one cannot see what you have done as you go. So that is what makes it hit and miss. You just need to try and remember were you have painted and what you have not.
    Hope this shed's a little light on the topic....
    lol

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.