ASA 100-400 Question

If a film is rated ASA 100-400, can I shoot at ASA 250 or ASA 320 since my camera has setting for those speeds?

Thanks!

JLH

If I recall from my film days the 100-400 film could shoot any speed between those two, you just adjusted the processing time during development. But...I don't have any technical source of information to back that up and my film development gear has gathered dust for many years now and my memory of the details have faded.

That means that 200 ASA would be the "normal" speed but that the film offers one stop of latitude in either direction depending on the subject matter and the adjustment you make to your development time.

Change film speed in mid roll :confused:
That is wide exposure latitude.

Agree with @Ann_JS that is strange colors.
I like the tones ;)
And I love how the younger shooters are breaking away from "traditional films" and being bold and creative in development of new films! :cool:

That being said, I've got 3 rolls - current roll is at 200 and I'll shoot the next at 400....Not sure about the 3rd roll...o_O

Real Name
Carl
Is it a C-41 film, needing development in Color Negative chemistry? Ilford XP-2 could be rated from 400, and was said to "grain down" at 300. Kodak also has/had a B&W Chromogenic film, with somewhat the same characteristics. Color negative film is usually rated for thinnner machine developed negatives, and benefits from as much as a 1-stop overexposure.

O.K., I just looked at the website and examples. Answered my questions. I can say is SHEESH! REminiscent of another "new?" DIY developing system...Cinestill. Unattractive color, Unsure as to graininess, but I might suggest getting some GOOD color neg film,(Kodak or Fuji) and see what great film can do for you!

Last edited:
Is it a C-41 film, I might suggest getting some GOOD color neg film,(Kodak or Fuji) and see what great film can look like!
Yes sir - it's C41!.
And yes, I've also shot "good" film such as Velvia, Ektar, Provia, Ektachrome, etc....but why not be bold and different? That "good" film is boring and traditional amongst the "old" generation...(BTW, I'm 56 myself).;)

Real Name
Chris
Yeah, it's cool looking film - you must have gotten the same Freestyle Photo email I did!

If you remember Ilford XP-2 film, it too had a 3 or 4 stop ASA (what we used to call ISO) range. You could shoot at any setting in the range, and normal C-41 development would result in a printable (or scannable) negative. And yep, change right in the middle of a roll - there is no adjustment to development needed.

Lttle known fact: most C-41 (color negative) film can be under or over exposed by at least one stop, and often more, and still be printable or scannable.

Yeah, it's cool looking film - you must have gotten the same Freestyle Photo email I did!

If you remember Ilford XP-2 film, it too had a 3 or 4 stop ASA (what we used to call ISO) range. You could shoot at any setting in the range, and normal C-41 development would result in a printable (or scannable) negative. And yep, change right in the middle of a roll - there is no adjustment to development needed.

Lttle known fact: most C-41 (color negative) film can be under or over exposed by at least one stop, and often more, and still be printable or scannable.
I've been acquiring "non-traditional" films for some new found and different perspectives in film shooting.
For example, I also have a roll of this in the 'fridge....:smuggrin:

https://dubblefilm.com/products/bubblegum-film-full-frame-tint-35mm-speciality-film

JLH

WOW....I haven't shot film in so many years......different world than I remember....... But I am really glad people are still playing with it. I had a great time with film (mostly slides) back in the day.

WOW....I haven't shot film in so many years......different world than I remember....... But I am really glad people are still playing with it. I had a great time with film (mostly slides) back in the day.
It's been revived by a lot of the younger generation! I was talking with a woman at our local photo lab and she told me that most of the film shooters that she see are of the younger groups...

I love cinestill, I also shoot cinema film in my FE2, they are not difficult to find in London.
A few labs will develop them as the remjet layer has to be manually wiped off.

• >>>>>
Change film speed in mid roll :confused:
That is wide exposure latitude. >>>

Change film speed mid-roll ?
Only if you are prepared to cut the film in the dark and develop each half of the film separately!
:rolleyes:

It's all just basic light-science and chemistry: "latitude" only comes into it when you adjust your chemistry for the actual exposure to light which the film received.
:)

Real Name
Carl
WOW! Is Freestyle still around? I shot lots of it and K-Mart specials when the kids were little, and we had not much $$ to spare on fripperies! I'm going to have to check them out! Then...I'd have to buy a film camera (Nikon, natch!) some AI-S lenses, a flash, some filters...OBOY will it NEVER end? :LOL:

Speaking of which...does anybody remember the oooold K-Mart radio (you do remember Radio, don't you? Like TV only smaller, and no picture!:geek:) film processing commercials featuring a little girl, Chrissie and her brother? Very creative and entertaining!:)

Latest threads

Top Bottom