Asa R. Smith

Discussion in 'Photojournalism, Candids and Street Photography' started by dbirdsong, Sep 5, 2005.

1. dbirdsong

dbirdsong Guest

Here in Highland at the corner of Livingston and Milford there is a old house that was also a gas station that served Highland for several years.
    Over the door is the name plate Asa R. Smith.
    That is something that all gas stations used to have over the door to tell you who was the owner of that station.
    Well Asa has long moved on to heaven, but his son Roscoe still lives there and is trying to keep the memory of his father in the minds of us that live in Highland.
    Today I met Roscoe and he invited me to photograph his pride and joy.
    What a joy to to be able to go and photograph a piece of history and later take the prints back and see the joy in his eyes of seeing photographs instead of snapshots that he and others have done over the years.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I am not sure if I like that one in color or this one in B&W better.

[​IMG]

2. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Nicely captured, Dave. The images tell a wonderful story of days gone by. Excellant color and sharpness.

3. dbirdsong

dbirdsong Guest

Thanks Frank
    I had been wanting to photograph that for a long time, if I hadn't had breakfast at McDonald's on Monday I wouldn't have talked to Roscoe and been invited to go over and take them.
    I wasn't sure what I was going to get, but I was very pleased with the results