Asclepias incarnata (wildflower)

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by Bob Coutant, Jul 20, 2007.

1. Bob Coutant

Bob Coutant Moderator Moderator

May 17, 2005
    Pleasantville Ohio
    Were it not for the pink (?) color, this Swamp milkweed could easily be mistaken for its orange cousin, Butterfly weed (Asclepias tuberosa). Both are popular with butterflies. Had I been a little quicker with the camera, I might have caught a clearwing hummingbird moth on this plant:redface:. [Please excuse the harsh lighting -- my "shade assistant" wasn't with me today:smile:.]

DSC_1823sm.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 20, 2007
  2. Bob,

I really like the lighting and detail in this image. Not harsh for my eyes. I am growing the orange variety from seed (my seedlings from the nursery didn't fare very well). This plant really is a butterfly magnet just like butterfly bushes. I also borrowed a few milkweed plants from the grounds at work (before the groundskeepers dug them up and pitched them on the refuse pile). I am hoping that they will take too. Monarchs love milkweed!! I hope you are able to photograph a few moths or butterflies.

3. Bob Coutant

May 17, 2005
    Pleasantville Ohio
    Thanks Crystall. Maybe you can help me out -- I believe that both the pink and orange Asclepias are perennials, but I wanted to try to collect seed and plant more next year. I've been watching one of the orange plants for weeks, but I have not spied anything I recognize as a seed. How big are the seeds? What do they look like? [Mine are all wild -- that orange looks great popping up out in the fields.]

4. Hi Bob,

I haven't any seeds right now and the two seedlings from the nursery failed miserably. I am not sure if my plant will develop seed pods, but if it does, I will gather some for you. I think my soil was too rich and wet because the nursery plants failed to thrive.

I am also trying to nurture a few transplanted milkweeds. I know it sounds strange, but milkweed is the monarch preferred host plant. Someday, I would like to have my garden certified as a monarch way station.

5. Bob, you always find the most interesting subjects! I think the color and detail is great. Not harsh in my opinion either. You need to practice your "quick draw" if you missed the hummingbird moth, though :wink:.

Edit: I found this link on propagation protocol. Maybe it applies to orange variety, also.http://www.nativeplantnetwork.org/network/view.asp?protocol_id=1488

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 21, 2007
  6. Bob Coutant

May 17, 2005
    Pleasantville Ohio
    Crystall,
    I'm sure you're right about the tuberosa not liking wet soil. On the other hand, the incarnata seems to prefer wet areas (hence the name "swamp milkweed"). I still have a few tuberosa that have just started blooming -- I'll have to watch those for seed. Good luck with the monarchs -- common milkweed is another that I don't have to plant:eek:.