Ashamed of the "Boston" News Media

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am proud of the police of the Boston area, and grieve for those hurt and killed, I understand all the issues of the Boston explosion, I understand if you have terrorist in front of explosion, the news media goes gaga and ape @%$*.

Cut to West Texas, forgotten today by all but the president, 15+ dead, many many wounded, many homes destroyed, and 9 first responders killed.

No news organization had the guts to quit the follower the leader ratings, to even mention Texas. I thank the president for saying that west Texas was not forgotten, I guess he thought the same as I did. The news media sucks.

I am proud of the police of the Boston area, and grieve for those hurt and killed, I understand all the issues of the Boston explosion, I understand if you have terrorist in front of explosion, the news media goes gaga and ape @%$*.

Cut to West Texas, forgotten today by all but the president, 15+ dead, many many wounded, many homes destroyed, and 9 first responders killed.

No news organization had the guts to quit the follower the leader ratings, to even mention Texas. I thank the president for saying that west Texas was not forgotten, I guess he thought the same as I did. The news media sucks.
Matt Lauer was there this morning but he spoke a minute and said they needed to get updates from Boston.

My young daughter already notices how bad news is especially at locking on one story.

The explosion in TX was two days ago, and while tragic, the media has few new facts to report on that accident today; the story in Boston kept growing and changing as they pursued the suspects and more death and destruction arose. The pursuit of the latest story is no different now than it was in the era of "Dewey defeats Truman" except I can at least choose what to read on the internet.

Sean

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
The explosion in TX was two days ago, and while tragic, the media has few new facts to report on that accident today; the story in Boston kept growing and changing as they pursued the suspects and more death and destruction arose. The pursuit of the latest story is no different now than it was in the era of "Dewey defeats Truman" except I can at least choose what to read on the internet.

Sean
Do you realize there has been nothing on west Texas since the initial flames and explosion, from Texas and in Boston they had talked to every wing nut that ever stood in line with these terrorist. It is disgraceful. How many have to die to make it news worthy???

Do you realize there has been nothing on west Texas since the initial flames and explosion, from Texas and in Boston they had talked to every wing nut that ever stood in line with these terrorist. It is disgraceful. How many have to die to make it news worthy???
What exactly does "nothing" mean? Is this 'nothing' as seen through the lens of what you saw on the tv? I've seen plenty of articles on the aftermath in Texas today.

How many have to die to make it news worthy? That's a flawed question - it was news 2 days ago when the accident occurred and they died. After that point, a police officer and one of the bombing suspects were killed and that was a developing story. Today, the final suspect was pursued, wounded and captured - again, new developments in an important story. The media reports on what is new or developing as each day passes.

"Texas town residents look for normalcy after deadly fertilizer plant explosion"

Sean

I don't get the rant. The Boston Marathon attack has been an ongoing and fluid situation.

I think the news reports and coverage is directly related to the perceived public threat that goes a long with the incidents.

An accident, as far as its been reported, doesn't have anywhere near to the same threat to public safety. While any life lost is tragic, someone scheming and plotting against their fellow citizens will always get more airplay than a reported accident.

I'm not sure that a story gets more play because the body count is larger or the financial impact is greater. If that was the case, you would never see local news and only the reports of foreign countries where, unfortunately, bombings are not a rare occurrence.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
What exactly does "nothing" mean? Is this 'nothing' as seen through the lens of what you saw on the tv? I've seen plenty of articles on the aftermath in Texas today.

How many have to die to make it news worthy? That's a flawed question - it was news 2 days ago when the accident occurred and they died. After that point, a police officer and one of the bombing suspects were killed and that was a developing story. Today, the final suspect was pursued, wounded and captured - again, new developments in an important story. The media reports on what is new or developing as each day passes.

"Texas town residents look for normalcy after deadly fertilizer plant explosion"

Sean
Iam visiting with family out of town this weekend spent the day in front of a TV , NADA on Texas. If the Boston bombing had not happened they would have swooped down on Texas. In Boston they just kept making air noise same repeating stories and news clips. they could have given some time to Texas and the much suffering out there.

All the news coverage of Boston will lead to more events like that in Boston, and the news will be right there.

I am sad that not much has been said about West, TX but my oldest daughter lives 15 miles away so I have more of a vested intrest then most.

If anything big happens in North Korea next week then both Boston and West Texas will be bumped out of the news altogether. This is just the way the news media works unfortunately and major events are soon relegated out of the newspapers and TV and on to the internet as soon as something else comes along to take it's place.

How often did you here repeated stuff, and mean repeated over and over the producers were all day giving the "STRETCH " sign to broadcasters.
With news being on 24 hour cycles, it happens. The Boston story is the head line across the nation and world. The Texas incident, while tragic doesn't have the impact and it isn't an ongoing thing like the chase for the terrorists.

If it becomes repeated for you, might be time to change the channel or look at something else. Repeated news happens when you have to fill 24 hours.

Thorsten

When I turned on the news for 10 minutes this morning and evening, I wanted to get a current update on the Boston suspects and not the tragic Texas accident. I would have looked for another news channel if Texas had been on. I bet many folks had the same expectation and the media just catered to their customers. So if you think something "sucks", then it's primarily us and not our news vendor. But frankly I think its understandable. Why should I have watched Texas today which I already did before when there were new developments in Boston. If you want to follow the Texas accident, just go to CNN's website and click on the US section. They have an interesting video how the accident unfolded.

According to some reports there are still 60 people missing in Texas so I think that story will move up the list again now that Boston has been dealt with.

I suspect that the inhabitants of West, TX may come to be glad that they could get over the incident without a media circus stomping all over the place...

I suspect that the inhabitants of West, TX may come to be glad that they could get over the incident without a media circus stomping all over the place...
But what a slap in the face to those folks if the news trucks start rolling into town now that the Boston suspect has been caught.

I was thinking the same thing..:frown: The very reason I haven't had a Tv for quite a few years, when you do see something.. is it real?
Hard to find details about the Tx incident. So much bigger lost of life, and wounded not to mention a town torn apart. :frown:
Gary

I will bang on the media as much as anybody because I agree that they are terrible. That said, the West Texas explosion was an unfortunate accident while the Boston incident is a terrorist bombing. Big difference in the level of interest - both nationally and internationally.

The media coverage tries to be in direct correlation to what most people want to see. Can't blame them for that. Now, how they cover it and what they report is a different story. That's where I think they are normally terrible.

I will bang on the media as much as anybody because I agree that they are terrible. That said, the West Texas explosion was an unfortunate accident while the Boston incident is a terrorist bombing. Big difference in the level of interest - both nationally and internationally.

The media coverage tries to be in direct correlation to what most people want to see. Can't blame them for that. Now, how they cover it and what they report is a different story. That's where I think they are normally terrible.
But what makes Boston a terrorist bombing and not just the actions of two disaffected, dysfunctional kids? Who, other than the media decides this and the media decided it was a terrorist bombing almost as soon as it happened even though they tried to restrain themselves from coming right out and saying so when the fact is that nobody knows for sure except for the surviving (and alleged) bomber who the police are still waiting to talk to. That's where I think they are terrible.

no offense, but the Boston media reported a LOCAL story which was of utmost importance and safety. The situation here was fluid and intense and extremely dangerous. We take care of our own.
While I feel compassion and sadness for what happened in Texas, I work very close to where the events in Boston happened. So, if my personal safety comes before my grieving for people who passed half way across the country I'm sorry. this was an unreal and unexplainable time here and I never want to go thru it again.

So, forgive me, but your objection is misplaced, mistimed and I"m so not interested.

thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom