Ashton Kutcher as the face of Nikon

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jStat, Oct 6, 2008.

1. jStat

jStat

Dec 11, 2007
    Janesville, WI
    Not sure if this was discussed before, but what do y'all think of Mr. Kutcher being the celebrity face of Nikon?
    Do you like him as such, or hate him?

I personally think while he does a nice job carrying himself, I find it sometimes hard to comprehend how he can pull off macro shots with non-macro lenses(D90 commercial)?

2. fks

fks

Apr 30, 2005
    sf bay area
    despite what demi moore might think, he's no maria sharapova :wink:

i've never really paid much attention to celebrity endorsements. i know they're a big deal in japan, but i don't why i would trust andre agassi to tell me what SLR to buy.

my younger brother on the other hand is now interested in the S60 because of the commercial. score one for ashton.

ricky

3. srsuser

srsuser

Oct 4, 2008
    Georgia
    Link to website articles or videos of ashton being a nikon user?

4. fks

fks

Apr 30, 2005
    sf bay area
  5. Never heard of him.

Of course I don't go to movies anymore 'cause I'm afraid the blood will rush to my head and I'll grab some cell phone talker by the throat which will lead to me spending time in jail.

6. Doug

Doug

Jan 17, 2006
    East TN
    Ashton got his start on "That 70's Show", which you'd almost have to not own a TV to have seen a few times. Later he did a few chummy teen type flicks, created and produced some reality/game show about geeks and hot girls called "Beauty and the Geek" I think. has done some other producer type work, and yes Demi was a project of his. ;)  But they swear their soulmates.

7. Lurker

Lurker

Jul 21, 2007
    NJ
    I think it was a smart move. Call me sexist but I think they're targeting a demographic (20-40yr female) that is usually ignored by the SLR manufacturers.
    Notice that they emphasize in the commercials the easiness of shooting with the D60 as opposed to features - it's all about drawing in soccer moms (and dads). In fact I don't think they mention any features at all. The camera sells itself to gearheads, the rest of the population needs a little bit of help :smile:

8. He's my hero. I often yell out "Dude! Where's my 400 f/2.8?!?!" at the racetrack. Ashton has had a profound influence on my photographic career. :smile:

9. DJVCuda

DJVCuda

Jun 13, 2008
    Atco, NJ
    lol @ Mike...

10. leahp26

leahp26

Apr 28, 2008
    Southern NH
    I guess the Ashton/D90 campaign is working. I've had 3 different people ask me

"Hey - is that one of those NIkon cameras that can do video too like Ashton's?

And when I went to a Patriots game a couple of weeks ago I brought all my camera stuff (I checked the website and they said "all still cameras were allowed as long as the lens could be removed for inspection ?!?").

I asked a security guard for directions to the gate we were supposed to enter and he says "Hmm - think you're Ashton Kutcher do you? You can't get in here with that D40, you'll have to go back to your car and leave it there"

I had printed out the page from the website about cameras so was prepared at the security area. The actual person checking all bags just said "Cute purse!"

11. Muonic

Muonic

Jun 14, 2006
    I'm with Bob on this one. Until these threads came up, I had never even heard of the guy. I've never seen "That 70's Show" either (though I have heard of it :smile:) .

It's possible he really loves photography. Who knows, maybe he'll be great for Nikon. If he isn't, he'll probably get fired.

We'll see.

12. Advertisers should really be more careful in their selection of endorsers and the baggage they bring.

I do not care for any celebrity actors spouting their political preferences [whichever side of the aisle they are on] and this guy is one of them.

13. mattsteg

mattsteg

Aug 10, 2007
    MN
    How dare private citizens who feel strongly about political issues voice their opinions?!

14. wbeem

wbeem

Feb 11, 2007
    Sanford, FL
    William Beem
    I think Herman's point is actually valid. While everyone is entitled to their opinion, sometimes the express it in a way that insults potential customers who are on the other side of an issue. A vendor who wants a celebrity endorsement needs to understand that political expressions from that celebrity may alienate customers and lose sales.

15. mattsteg

mattsteg

Aug 10, 2007
    MN
    Then more power to him for sacrificing potential endorsement opportunities and the money that goes with them in favor of expressing their opinion on something they quite obviously feel strongly about.

You don't think vendors consider that? They don't make their endorsement choices on a whim.

16. wbeem

wbeem

Feb 11, 2007
    Sanford, FL
    William Beem
    All I did was elaborate on someone's point. I don't really intend to get into a damn debate as to whether a political opinion is or isn't more important than a celebrity endorsement.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 6, 2008
  17. trublu

trublu

Jul 23, 2007
    nyc
    I guess you guys differ in opinion when it comes to politics. :tongue:
    It's Nikon's prerogative to use whoever they want for their ads. Ashton and anyone else for that matter can express whatever opinion they have. It's their business. If you don't like it ignore em.

18. scooptdoo

scooptdoo Guest

hey andri agassi sold many a canon rebel

19. jStat

jStat

Dec 11, 2007
    Janesville, WI
    No Politics!!!!!!!!:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: 

Yeah, I don't like bid-mouthed celebs touting products either, but that's just too bad for all of us.

Nicholas Cage probably wasn't able to do it. Besides, he's not 'hip' and young enough for the demographic.

So yeah...

NO POLITICS!!!!!!!!!!:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: 

Politics make me angry.:biggrin:

20. I laughed. :smile:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.