Ashton Kutcher as the face of Nikon

How dare private citizens who feel strongly about political issues voice their opinions?!

I have absolutely no problem with private citizens voicing their opinions on anything they feel strongly about, whatever that might be.

What I have a problem with is so called celebrities [who are not private citizens anymore] with any type of political or other agenda being used for advertising a product. The choice of any type "spokesperson/face of the product" should be guided by how neutral a person is.

I have absolutely no problem with private citizens voicing their opinions on anything they feel strongly about, whatever that might be.
Somehow I don't believe you.
What I have a problem with is so called celebrities [who are not private citizens anymore]
By what measure aren't celebrities private citizens?
with any type of political or other agenda being used for advertising a product. The choice of any type "spokesperson/face of the product" should be guided by how neutral a person is.
Then speak with your wallet. Go sell off all of your Nikon gear if it's that big of an issue to you. Quit begrudging others' their right to have and voice their own political opinion.

Somehow I don't believe you.By what measure aren't celebrities private citizens?Then speak with your wallet. Go sell off all of your Nikon gear if it's that big of an issue to you. Quit begrudging others' their right to have and voice their own political opinion.

It is your prerogative not to believe me. Celebrities have become public persona, who do not have an expectation of privacy anymore. I do not begrudge others to have a political opinion at all, but my point simply is that advertisers not put themselves in the mix of politics. Selling my Nikon equipment - Hell NO!!! That would really be stupid.

It is your prerogative not to believe me. Celebrities have become public persona, who do not have an expectation of privacy anymore.
That doesn't have anything do do with their status as private citizens. Their expectation of privacy (or lack thereof) has nothing to do with their status as private citizens.
I do not begrudge others to have a political opinion at all, but my point simply is that advertisers not put themselves in the mix of politics. Selling my Nikon equipment - Hell NO!!! That would really be stupid.
Advertisers aren't. It's not like he turns around at the end of the commercial and tells you how to vote.

You don't choose an endorser based on "how neutral they are", you choose them based on how well you think they can sell your product.

That doesn't have anything do do with their status as private citizens. Their expectation of privacy (or lack thereof) has nothing to do with their status as private citizens.Advertisers aren't. It's not like he turns around at the end of the commercial and tells you how to vote.

You don't choose an endorser based on "how neutral they are", you choose them based on how well you think they can sell your product.

I guess we will agree to disagree.

As for DSLRs, I've only seen his D60 commercial on TV so far. I've seen the D90 commercial but only via web. Mostly I just see his ads for the P&S cameras.

Nikon is still a business though and if they need to target more average camera users, especially the younger crowd, then why not use him?

What I have a problem with is so called celebrities [who are not private citizens anymore] with any type of political or other agenda being used for advertising a product. The choice of any type "spokesperson/face of the product" should be guided by how neutral a person is.

Ok, guide me here. Personally I don't know what A.K's political agenda is, and quite frankly I don't care.

But is there a political message in the advertisements? As far as I can see he's only trying to sell cameras there and showing it off by taking pictures of everything. I fail to see the political message there.

For all I know he's in favor of either R, D or L. I don't know and I don't care and I think that neither does Nikon. I'm sure their marketing department went over it and decided that as long he's not generally seen as a hard core fanatic or widely recognized spokes person for one or the other, or associated with some organisation that will draw a lot of negative publicity (KKK, Bolshevic Front, PKK, WP, AQ, etc) they probably wouldn't care.

There are certain celebrities I probably would not pick. Not on their stance per se, but on how controversial they are. Michael Moore - no matter what you think of him - is waaay to controversial for a large corporation to be used in advertisements. But so would Bill O'Reilly or even "Mad" Jim Cramer.
But I don't think that getting The Governator would be seen as a political endorsement: "I am Aaahnold and I recommend Niii-kohn". And it would be the commercial of the century if Nikon got both McCain and Obama (names in alphabetical order) in a commercial: "we're divided on many things, but we agree on one thing: {insert Nikon slogan}". The trick of course, is to get them both...

P

Paul.r.lindqvist

Advertisers should really be more careful in their selection of endorsers and the baggage they bring.

I do not care for any celebrity actors spouting their political preferences [whichever side of the aisle they are on] and this guy is one of them.

Well im finding it hard to see why a actor couldnt/shouldnt spout their political opinion, does their line of work not entitle them to have a "public" political opinion ?

Private citizen ???! so Joe next door can have a opinion, and have buttons on his t-shirt and voice his opinion, but if your a actor you cant ? :rolleyes:

As for Kuther being on a comercial, well i dont buy my cameras/lenses based on a TV comercial, then again i dont need to read Thom/Ken either to feel good about my investments. :wink:

The only observation I wish to make is a practical one : advertisers ,who are prudent, should not employ spokes people, who in their own spare time make the news with their political or other views whatever that may be. Advertisers run the risk of being associated with the views of their spokes people., whatever those views may be.

The focus groups used in the selection of A.K. may have taken this in account and it probably does not have any effect on the success of the advertising campaign as most folks that the campaign is directed at will have no clue anyway.

By now I am sorry I even reacted to the first post.

The only observation I wish to make is a practical one : advertisers ,who are prudent, should not employ spokes people, who in their own spare time make the news with their political or other views whatever that may be. Advertisers run the risk of being associated with the views of their spokes people., whatever those views may be.

The focus groups used in the selection of A.K. may have taken this in account and it probably does not have any effect on the success of the advertising campaign as most folks that the campaign is directed at will have no clue anyway.

That sure sounds prudent to me.

P

Paul.r.lindqvist

The focus group is more likley to have the intelligence to take the comercial for what it is, and not assosicate Nikon with any political/religious opinion.

Just as i can go and watch a movie with Tom cruise and really enjoy his work as an actor, still that dosent mean i run out and join his "church"....

Last edited by a moderator:
Then more power to him for sacrificing potential endorsement opportunities and the money that goes with them in favor of expressing their opinion on something they quite obviously feel strongly about.

You don't think vendors consider that? They don't make their endorsement choices on a whim.

Is he expressing his opinion or the opinion that is popular in Hollywood and the one that will help him continue getting work. I support artists for their art, if I cared about their political views I'd ask.

What a stupid move... on his part, not only did he show is face on youtube, he also put out his email and website adress...:rolleyes:

I guess if it looks doorky... its a good possibility...:cool:

I know. Video was dumb, that's stupid to switch to Canon or Sony just because Ashton Kutcher is on Nikon Commercials. I hope he was joking.

Um, guys? I didn't intend this to be a thread about Ashton's political rhetoric.

Further evidence that nothing ruins relationships more than politics....

P

Paul.r.lindqvist

Um, guys? I didn't intend this to be a thread about Ashton's political rhetoric.

Further evidence that nothing ruins relationships more than politics....

Well what did you intend it to be about ? :wink:

-Yes i like the comercial

-No i dont like the comercial

If people cant say why they didnt like it, or why they did, its not much use asking the question to begin with.

Latest threads

Top Bottom