Asian/American wedding

Discussion in 'Formal Portraits and Weddings' started by hangman, Sep 7, 2008.

1. hangman

hangman

Aug 13, 2006
    Lone Star State
    Well.. my wife's cousin, who is half american and half vietnamese, decides to have a traditional vietnamese wedding.. I was asked to take some snapshots of the wedding so here are a few from the wedding.. If you are not familiar with Vietnamese weddings.. I'll try to explain whats going on along the way.. The wedding took place at my wife's aunt's house, and as such.. the room was really really small so I was forced to use my Sigma 10-20 ultrawide to take most of the shots.. Which kinda sucked since its not my sharpest lens and it has some crazy distortions.. Whats even worse was the fact that behind the ceramony area were huge windows so I was fighting a constant bright backlight from the windows... I would love to hear feedback.. good or bad... :)

Here's a few pics of the setup before the ceramony..

2835448506_23a39fe208_o.png

View attachment 248419

From the balcony

View attachment 248420

Everyone awaits the groom's family to arrive with the dowry

View attachment 248421

The dowry was brought in and laid on the offering table

View attachment 248422

The bride's family accepts the dowry and brings out the bride

View attachment 248423

The two fathers light the "dragon & pheonix" candles..

View attachment 248424

The bride and groom lights the incense to the ancestors..

View attachment 248425

On to the "Tea Ceramony" this is where the bride and groom officially becomes family if the parents accept and drinks the tea..

View attachment 248426

Then the family portraits

View attachment 248427
    View attachment 248428

Then they converted the area for the feasting...

2835450586_334e1a72f5_o.png

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2008
  2. Very interesting! I think you handled the situation quite nicely! Just curious, what was the dowry? Certainly isn't like an American dowry!

3. JDex

JDex

Jul 17, 2007
    Cerritos, CA
    I think you did well! tho shots were very well lit.

4. Scotty_R

Scotty_R

Jan 1, 2006
    Virginia
    I agree--very nice work, good color, excellent lighting, sharp images. The couple should be very pleased.

5. Very well done! Great story too!

PaulC

6. Well done. Your wife's Aunt has an awesome home!

7. excellent work
    fascinating ceremony... especially with the dowry
    and...
    a beautiful home
    so many wonderful images.
    this one is my favorite:

2835449408_502e66d97b_o.png

8. hangman

hangman

Aug 13, 2006
    Lone Star State
    Thanks everyone for the kind words....

cajun angel, the Dowry consists of many things... money, jewlery, food, and of course a whole roasted pig :)

9. hangman

hangman

Aug 13, 2006
    Lone Star State
    They also had a "Western" wedding the day after, of which they did hire a pro photographer..

Since I wasn't the photog, I was only able to manage a couple of grab shots from the side lines from way in the back.. The area was extremely dark so I was pushing the iso a bit..

Here's a couple of the shots.. Tell me what ya think..

iso 1600, f/2.8, 1/125 sec, 105mm
    2838155675_656330927d_o.png

iso 1250, f/2.5, 1/125 sec, 105mm
    View attachment 248432

10. jaikdee

jaikdee

Feb 25, 2008
    Kingman, AZ
    How wonderful to celebrate both cultures. Having 7 children between us, I think of the expense of two weddings - dresses, flowers, etc. We had three daughters marry within seven months. Two were big weddings with a couple of hundred guests, but the best one (I can say here since none of them are on the site) was the wedding at the hitching rail in our back yard. It was informal and relaxed. No one noticed until the pictures came back that her father and step-father had made a hangman's noose that hung beside a post in the background. These are all beautiful pictures and a very happy couple.
    Janet

11. Oh I'd love to see that photo with the hangman's noose! I bet that was a hoot!