Asking for comments/critiques of these 2 portrait shots

Discussion in 'People' started by Steve S, Jul 31, 2005.

1. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    This is my good friend's daughter, who graciously agree to let me get in some much needed practice. Shot these in a local park's gazebo. Thoughts on improving them? Shot with D2X/28-70/SB800 in iTTL-BL.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Great images of a beautiful woman, Steve. Looks like you used the ambient light well. Not sure if it's my monitor, but the sharpness of her face in image #1 looks a bit soft, but everything else around it looks fine...probably just an illusion. She has a a beautiful smile as depicted in image #2. I like the compostion and crop on both images. Did you shoot any images of her face close-up? Great portraiture job, Steve.

3. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    The lighting looks a bit flatter than I am used to with your stuff Steve. She looks good, but I'll bet if you work with her more, she'll look great!

I was gonna make a remark that too bad her dad's your friend, but then decided that would be in bad taste.

4. DanWhite

DanWhite

Jul 10, 2005
    Lansdale PA
    Steve,

great shots of a beautiful model. Couple of things to consider mostly in the second shot. The angel that you are at and the Angel of her head you get a clear view up her nose, and with her leg position a pretty good view up her dress. ALWAYS watch for the dress creeping up in places that it shouldn't.

Dan

5. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Thanks Frank,

I think I'm having issues with the outboard focus reticles on my D2X, since all the images I took in portrait mode used the outer reticle and are showing softness from either back or front focusing. Also, I probably forgot to do a final sharpening on this one after pretty severely downsizing it for web. Print looks great. It was actually one of the few shots I did in landscape mode, most likely using the center reticle.

6. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Flat it is,

but flat she sure isn't! :wink: I think using the Sb800 in iTTL-BL made it the main source of light, and being onboard the cam, albiet above it with an RRS PP rig, makes for flat lighting. Too bad she doesn't know a thing about posing for the cam, and I'm pretty inexperienced too. We did work off a posing contact sheet I printed up as guidlines for her poses, but she's a beauty pageant queen, not a photography model. And fwiw, Chris, I've known this girl since she was 2, but that doesn't make blind to her beauty. :shock: She is definitely well built! :lol: She's on the diving team in college.

7. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Thanks Dan,

I see what you mean about the up the nose angle, and you're right about that dress creeping up too far in that 2nd shot. It's a bit too revealing, isn't it? I'd better go back and see if there's another similar shot we could use.

8. dbirdsong

dbirdsong Guest

Wow.. She is very cute, and I do think you did a pretty good job photographing her.
    As Dan mentioned, the dress is revealing a little to much of her leg, but who's complaining.. :)
    I hope you get to photograph her some more.. maybe in her bikini next time :)

9. DanWhite

DanWhite

Jul 10, 2005
    Lansdale PA
    Steve, One thing I forgot to mention, she has a great smile and looks like she has amazing eyes.

Dan

10. I like the smile and cute tilt of the head on the 2nd image Steve. The view up the dress is distracting and not very flattering. Were she covered this would have been a great shot.

11. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Thanks Gordon,

Ya, that view is a bit too much, isn't it? I do have just one other shot similar to this one I'll see if I can make work. It's doesn't have quite this "vista".

12. Steve, please ...

I want to be adopted by you.

I am clean, hardworking and polite.

I can cook and be your assistant in your photo projects ...

What do you think ?

13. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Ya, Yves, but I can't afford you! ;c)

Thanks for stopping by my friend. With any luck at all, we may do another series over the weekend.[/b]