Asking for critical comments on Jesse studio shots

Had a good session with Jesse, esp when playing around with the red gel filter :wink: All shot with D2x/85 1.4. Also, if this 1st one isn't quite, my excuse is I edited it on my LCD surfing puter while watching the Colts replay :biggrin:
Head%20in%20Hand_5664.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Red%20Repose_5874.jpg

Red%20Head_5687.jpg

Red%20Recline_5780.jpg

The first is excellent, the hair, the hand and especially the eyes...it all fits. I'm not too keen on the red. I like the last one as well..color would be better I think on that on though.

Nice work!

Rich

Hi Steve,

I'm definitely with Paul and Rich.....the red does not work.

Jesse, however, works very nicely! :cool:

The first shot is excellent. Pose, exposure, the whole look.

Best wishes,

David

Hi steve,

See you had a great time again with Jesse. I like the first one. The 2nd and 3th are very nice and give different feel to the photo's. I do agree that in the 3th photo the feeling of the eyes is lost because of the Red gel maybe post processing with a red filter is maybe better. But the first 3 photo's are good.

The 4th photo is ok but doesn't attract me as much as the first three photo's. While she is beautifull woman and the feel of nudity must be a stimulance for a man to like such a photo. I prefer the first three photo's wich had more impact on viewing for me.

Maybe the last one would look better if you make it bw image or duotone. And i will upload soon some photo's so you can give me your welcome critiques and remarks. I allways enjoy seeing your photo's and the progress you make in your work. Great job and thanks for sharing these steve. And tell your friend Jesse she is beautifull model you are lucky to have such a model to work with.

Greetings,
VinceBeus

First one is really great. Maybe a bit too much headroom but you probably shot that way to have cropping flexibility for different print sizes.

Second one I like the pose and the lighting although I'd have to agree with the others I'm not crazy about the red gel on these last three.

Third one, the pose makes her look thick-necked, not crazy about that.

Fourth one is good too, although there's a crease that's somewhat distracting and probably could have been avoided with more careful positioning.

Real Name
Chris
Well I like the red pix Steve. Saturated light alters reality, and it suits the model, the mood and the art. The first picture looks very nice, but as an artist and model, I would thnk that you and Jesse have moved beyond the 'nice picture' stage. These red shots are a stab at pure mood, and they achieve it!

The second picture looks like anticipation from the direction and proximity of the light, but like reflection from her facial expression. Maybe you can use this same lighting (something is happening to our right) with a more aprehensive look, or maybe use the same reflective expression with a more inner directrd spot.

Third picture is great. I don't see thick-necked, but rather confidence and feminine aggression. It's cool, but would benefit from more cleavage. Or maybe that's me.

Fourth picture is of course titilating, however I don't like the composition. She's either cut off too much, or not enough. Background light is very effective - looks like she's sizzling, but the cotton pad under her distracts. Satin sheet maybe? Oh, and you know you can fix the boob crease in post. There was a thread about a month ago where someone linked to their gallery of PS augmentations and repairs. It looked easy.

Great job on these Steve. I'm glad to see you and Jesse working together again. I can't wait for the movie of the story of all that to come out. :wink:

fks

hi steve-

on #1, i like the lighting, very even and opens up her face well. i'm drawn to her eyes, very captivating.

i agree with jeff that there's a bit too much dead space at the top.

the pose doesn't work for me, she appears to be hanging in mid-air. i would like to see her elbow, and what the elbow is resting on. her hand wrapping around her face from the chin to foreheard gives the impression that she has big hands; i would try to get her fingertips to rest at eye level, and maybe not show as much of the side of the palm.

ricky

Steve - #1 is a really good shot. Great lighting and an interesting, creative pose.

I might crop just a bit off her left shoulder (lose the seam) and smooth/clone her left cheek and neckline.

Hi Steve,
Glad to see that Jessie is back in town. As to this series, I have seen much better from you in the past.

One pbase commercial model photographer I follow is Mary Duprie. She has some outstanding high end images. Check it out if you want, you might get some ideas.

http://www.pbase.com/maryduprie/root

Hope this wasnt too negative. Just my honest opinion.

Regards

RFC

I very much like number 2.

Posing on the others look to fake.

Posing and looking natural is not an easy thing to do.for a photographer. Another learned skill to go with all the rest of the confusion :>))))

Hi Steve,

On image #1, do you like the background matching the color of her top? I wonder if a different color background or different color top might enhance the image. I'm not sure if I like the black shirt under the green shirt, the reveal of the black isn't uniform...kind of distracting. I like the pose and the way her hair cascades downward. Her facial expression is interesting, as though she is reflecting on her thoughs.

The other images are fine...but I am not a fan of the red gels which, IMHO, are too overbearing for a rapidly aging chap like myself. Would love to see those images in natural colors...WOW.

I hope my opinions are useful.....

Thanks all for the great insights and suggestions. You've pointed out some things that I completely overlooked. The red gel was her idea, not mine. Next time, I shoot everything in color, and play around with colorizations in PS.
Here's a parting shot rendered from the red one, converted to B&W using the Fred Miranda's B&W Pro PS plugin.
original.jpg

I like both versions, because i like the pose and look of the model.
Color makes no difference to me. Looks great.. This would lok great with daves glow action run on it as well.

Find at
www.atncentral.com

I like the B&W conversion better although the black background could maybe bit a bit deeper. The lighting on that shot is really spectacular though.

D

dbirdsong

Man Steve, I could look at her all day long.. and that last photo.. Very nice.. Got any more?
But I will also say, the red is a little over the top for my taste.. but on the other hand, at least you got some great shots of her again.

RFCNIKON said:
Hi Steve,
Glad to see that Jessie is back in town. As to this series, I have seen much better from you in the past.

One pbase commercial model photographer I follow is Mary Duprie. She has some outstanding high end images. Check it out if you want, you might get some ideas.

http://www.pbase.com/maryduprie/root

Hope this wasnt too negative. Just my honest opinion.

Regards

RFC

Hey, thanks for that link Robert. I really enjoy getting ideas like the examples I'm seeing from Mary Dupree. And, don't ever worry about being too negative with me. Let'e face it, I hadn't done a shoot like this in 5 months, and perhaps it showed.

Latest threads

Top Bottom