Asking for Photos?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by confused, Jul 2, 2005.

1. When you are out say on the street and want to get a photo of somebody, what is the best way to ask them for their photo? Just go, do you mind if I take your photo? It seems like many people here have shots of random people they don't know. How do you go about getting those shots since my cruise is tomorrow I would like to get some shots of people but I don't want to come off that rude and weird. Any ideas? Hopefully quick replies since i leave tomorrow.

Thanks a ton!!!!!!

2. GeeJay

GeeJay

Jan 26, 2005
    Florida
    Hi Elliott,

I tend to use a longer lens so I can take pictures without people knowing it. For instance, I"m going to a little vilage 4th of July parade on MOnday and I'll take my 70-200VR so I can sneak pictures of people far away... and then I don't have to ask their permission.

ONce they know I'm going to take their picture they start posing .. That said I want to add that if necessary and really obvious that I'm taking their picture I'll ask them if it's okay...and usually I try to have an object with them that they think I"m taking the picture of...like an old car or a dog etc...

In this picture of the poodle I wanted to get a picture of the dog and the handler and she never knew I was taking this.. Also the one of the three women with the three dogs..they didn't know I took that one...the one on the left had just won and was all smiles.. She had beaten the other two and you can read the expressions on their faces... If I'd asked their permission they would have posed.. I used a 28 1.4 lens with a D2X for these.

I asked the two people with the old red car if I could take a picture of their car and they immediately turned around and posed with the car. In fact the man dashed around to the driver's side so he could stand there where he wanted to be in the picture :lol:

Have a good trip and post those pictures of people when you return,

Best to you,

Gaye

I didn't tell the handler I was taking this because I wanted them both in their natural pose :lol: She was working very hard on the dog in the ring and he was being perfect for her.
    [​IMG]

The dog on the left had just won first place and you can see it on the woman's face.. the other two lost to her and you can see that expression too..If I'd asked permission to photo them they would have all posed.
    [​IMG]

I really wanted the car for this picture but got the two posing people along with it because I asked their permission...I guess the people go with the car so okay :lol:
    [​IMG]

3. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Pretty good answer Gaye. :wink:

How are things in Michigan? I sure hope that Stan is doing better.

4. Okay..I guess I will try my 70-300mm and try to reduce the shake on it with a flash and using a faster shutter speed. I always have trouble steadying it and I want to avoid my tripod as much as possible. And for the posed shots I will go with my kit lense or possible my 28-90mm.

Thanks for the feedback and nice photos!!!!

5. GeeJay

GeeJay

Jan 26, 2005
    Florida
    Elliott and Flew,

Will sure look for those cruise 'people pictures' when you return and know you'll have fun taking the pictures..

Having a great summer in Michigan.Weather is best in 50 years for June weather. Couldn't be better and things going better healthwise too. I hope to be at one of the group sessions soon.

Thanks and best to you,

Gaye

6. Hi Elliot,

I don't think I would ever use a flash for these candid type photos. Just rack up the ISO a little and fire away.

The 70-200VR is useful, but although you might be at a reasonable distance, you are certainly not invisible due the size of the lens.

One method is to point the camera one way, whilst observing another situation. When the subject isn't looking, swiftly recompose and take the shot. You've often only got one chance and you need to be fast.

I have had limited success with asking. You have to play it as you find it, but I have lost some great shots, by asking for permission. A smile can go a long way.

The posed shot is often not the shot that produces the most interesting photograph. Some times a solution can be to fire off a quick shot and follow it up by asking. Asking permission needn't mean going over to the person and saying "excuse me, ..." Sometimes simply a movement of the head and an offering motion of the camera will suffice. You will soon know if they are not interested. Sometimes a short conversation is the way to go.

Candid shooting is not always easy, but can produce some great shots.

Face your fears and keep practicing.

Regards,

Steve D.

7. Thanks for this little last piece of advice and I wanted to thank everybody that helped me out with choosing new gear and all the advice I have gotten so I can make the cruise successful. Well, im off to take a shower and then off to Seattle!!!!! Well, we are stopping at the beach first in Federal Way but oh well. Thanks all for the tips!!!!