Aspiring Model

Discussion in 'People' started by greyflash, Mar 3, 2005.

1. This young lady is just 14 years old and was invited to attend a modeling class this summer in California. We had intended to do outside shots but it was pouring down rain so we had to take them inside. These were taken with window light, flash and reflectors.

original.

2. I have been wondering why I had over 30 hits on this post but not one comment? I would be happy to have critical comments if you would like but to have none makes me wonder if these images are really bad. What is really important I guess is that the family loved them and bought ten of them at $15.00 a pop along with several others. I'm really not feeling neglected, just wondering what photographers think?? I hope no one construes this message as being critical of you for not commenting for that was not my intent, I just wanted some meaningful dialog that would help me to improve. I will be doing several more of this type shot in the near future.

3. Great shots grey!!! :D :D :D :D :D

4. CraigH.

CraigH.

Feb 1, 2005
    Northen NJ
    What beautiful Bue eyes. she looks like an angel!
    Great use of light. the reults are superb! :D

5. Thanks Bryan and Craig. I really appreciate you taking the time to comment. And Craig, her strong points are her eyes, hair and her full lips. I tried to accentuate those and used gausian blur to demphasize everything else.

6. Yes, I really like her cute smile in the second photo. I can not say anything negative about those shots!! :D :D :D :D :D

7. Hey Gordon -

I think I was one of those 30...

As you know, I'm not much of an expert in general, but especially with "people" shots. :) Doesn't usually stop me from commenting, though.

The first picture is technically wonderful, but I don't much care for the expression on her face for some reason. Probably was meant to be pensive, but the look came across a bit more like "bored" to me. Could just be the age... (or it could just be me :) ). Do love those eyes, though.

I really like the second one much better, wonderful use of depth-of-field and/or selective blur. A much more pleasant-looking expression, and the pose seems relaxed and natural. And of course, well-captured by the photographer....

8. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    I have to reflect what David said. First looks like sad puppy. Lighting and tones look good tho, to me. Second is better of the girl becaute of the smile.

I am not sure of the composition tho.

I just got in from work, could not answer earlier :>))

Cheers and keep up the good work.

Portraits and Weddings, what a nightmare they must be to shoot.

Gale

9. Thanks David, that is good input. I had asked her not to smile on the first one but I can see what you mean. The second image was selective DOF and I also had to remove the dining room table legs above her head to make it an acceptable image. I really much prefer shooting outside. Thanks for your kind comments.

10. Almost missed this one Gordon, very well done the 2nd one is the money shot, excellent in every way.

11. Thanks Mike, I appreciate your comments. My daughters who are photographers also liked the second one the best.

12. Well, okay. The straight on shot seems to distort the front of her nose. By that I mean it resembles the situation when you use a short lens too close and detracts from her stunning eyes. If it turns out that her nose is a bit broad, I'd always have her head turned slightly. A profile would also be interesting.

Rich

13. Gordon. Nice portraits and good lighting. I must agree with your daughter, the second is the best of those two. Her blue smiling eyes looking at the camera (or at you :D ) are lovely.

Very pretty daughter you have here, proud father :!:

14. Thanks for your insightful comment Rich. Certainly will give that a try should I have the opportunity again. I was trying to remember what lens I shot this with so I will go back and look at the EXIF. I believe it was the 70-200 but I am not sure.

15. PGB

PGB

Jan 25, 2005
    Gordon,

I like the second shot the best but a couple of things bother me.

To me the open space above her butt is where I first looked at when I saw this picture. It is distracting to me. Second, I would like to see the rest of her hair and it not be cut off in the frame.

Of course I am no portrait photog but this is what I see.

Thanks, she is a very beautiful model too!

16. PGB

PGB

Jan 25, 2005
    Gordon,

I like the second shot the best but a couple of things bother me.

To me the open space above her butt is where I first looked at when I saw this picture. It is distracting to me. Second, I would like to see the rest of her hair and it not be cut off in the frame.

Of course I am no portrait photog but this is what I see.

Thanks, she is a very beautiful model too!

17. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Hey Gordo,

I'm not one of the 30. I've been struggling to get to, much less respond to, all of the posts on the forum. The Cafe has just gotten too big for me to read and respond to them all.... 8)

If I had been one, I probably still wouldn't have responded, 'cause I'm totally ignorant when it comes to this kind of photography (sort of like Steve's studio shots).

On top of all of that, I'm one of those really weird individuals that hate to see young ladies base their career on their good looks, as this is such a transient condition. I'd rather see them go through life basing their success or failure on their minds, which hopefully lasts a lot longer.... :)

I know that this is not the standard position, but you did ask.... :wink:

Regards,

Frank

18. Thanks Frank, I'm just the photographer but I do know what you are saying. Her father is a doctor and is just trying to support whatever direction his children want to go in. The chance of her becoming a full fledged model are somewhere between slim and none as it is with all you ladies that pursue that avocation. Not unlike an young man wanting to be a professional basketball player.

19. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Gordon,

I have absolutely nothing against shooting these gals (and guys too....;-)). It's just that I think they sometimes set their sights too low. I surely know what you mean about the basketball thing. Very similar.

Regards,

Frank

20. NeilCam

NeilCam

Feb 21, 2005
    Ottawa, Ontario
    Well said Frank. It's always interesting meeting those women who've basically always been beautiful since a young age and have been frequently told so. Most of the ones of that ilk I've met seem to have ended up being bitches/bimbos simply because they've got through life totally on their looks and not much else other than an ability to use those looks to their best advantage.

Anyway, enough whining. Onto Gordon's shot.

All I can say is:

1) As far as the 30 went - IT WASN'T ME! I NEVER DONE IT! YOU CAN'T PROVE A THING!

2) Agree with what others have said about the shots - second is better than the first. She does look a little pensive in the first.

3) I'm sure they didn't make 'em that good looking when I was 14!

Neil