Aspiring Model

Sorry I missed this one before

If you don't mind, I'll be somewhat blunt here. The exposures are spot on, unike my examples further down. However the pose in #1 isn't working at all. She needs some animation and emotion, through a more oblique facial position to the camera, and a head tilt, preferrably downward and to one side or another. Also, she's not looking into the camera, like a vacant eyed statue.
Here's a couple examples of what I mean:
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

This girl is also 14, my houskeeper's daughter:
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Knowing how to pose an inexperienced subject is half the battle, and it's hard to learn, believe me, I've been at it a while, and haven't even scratched the surface yet.

Now, conversely, #2 is excellent, in that she's playing to the camera, tilting here head, and giving a great natural smile. imo, these 2 pics are about as opposite as they can be. Hope I didn't step on your toes here, Gordon.

I never mind critique, that is how we learn. I too like #2 but the commission was for a head shot and a body shot. I will be working with a young lady this weekend and we'll see how it goes. I will try some with the tilted head as you suggest. Thanks for your comments.

P.S. - The family loved #1 and bought ten 8x10's of it so sometimes you have to go with what sells.

Hi Gordon,

I don't mind chiming in and giving some thoughts.

On the first one. I would have tilted her head towards your left and had her eyes looking the same way as if she were looking at something and had her smile at the same time which I know you tried but she wouldn't smile. She will have to get use to taking directions if she is going to be a model so I don't know why she didn't when you asked her.

On the second one. I would have cropped the picture from her thighs all the way over to the right like you have it with all of her hair showing and maybe have the palms of her hands lighting resting on her chin with that big smile of hers. Other than that, your lighting is really nice and you did a really good job. I agree with you that you have to go with what the family wants and what sells.

Just my opinion from some portraits I have seen in the past.

Hope this helps you.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom