Assasin Bugs????

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by PGB, Aug 13, 2005.

1. PGB

PGB

Jan 25, 2005
    Leigh found these in her garden. I think they are Assassin bugs or possibly Wheelbug Nymphs. I'm sure Bob, Harry, or Martin can clarify.

Thanks for looking.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Those are really neat Patrick.

Good shots.

Not sure if Leigh is to thrilled with them in the garden. Unless they eat the bugs that eat the garden.

3. Lisa

Lisa

May 3, 2005
    IL
    Interesting looking insects, Patrick. I don't think I'd like to see them in the garden, either. Did you use the 200mm Micro for these?

4. Leigh

Leigh

Feb 19, 2005
    Alabama
    Nope, I wasn't too thrilled, especially when I reached down to pick the tomato that they were sitting on and realized there were about 20-30 of them sitting on it! From what I've heard the darn things have a pretty nasty bite so I decided that if Flew wants that one, he's gonna have to come pick it himself! lol :lol: So I left the tomato (and the bugs) where they were and sent Patrick out to take a few pictures of them. He did really well. They are tiny little things, maybe 1/4" long at the most...

5. PGB

PGB

Jan 25, 2005
    Lisa,

I did use the 200 F4 along with the SB-800. They are very tiny. I wasn't too happy with the results that I got. The pics appeared grainy even before I cropped in some. Result of a higher iso. I didn't check it and think all of these were iso 320. I'm working on a homebrew flash bracket and perhaps I'll have that done this weekend.

Thanks for looking.

6. Cool, I think your right on the id but the experts will let us know.

Nicely captured, you got some nice poses.

Martin

7. It looks like these guys are having a picnic on Frank's tomato! Hey, Flew, you better get over there fast or there won't be anything left!

Great shots, Patrick!

Virginia
    aka beaucamera

8. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Hey, I ain't eating any tomatoes with bug on them. :lol:

Cool shots Patrick. You are definitely giving the 200 a workout.

9. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

10. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    hahahahahahahha roflmao

You go Leigh........

11. I like the assassin bug title Patrick. They look absolutely wicked and the plant don't look to well either. Interesting post.

12. saturnine

saturnine Guest

Ugh, those bugs give me the heebie jeebies... As you can tell, I'm totally not a bug person. On DPreview, a lot of people take pictures of those small jumping spiders, and everytime I see a photo I think "how are you people NOT afraid that those things are going to JUMP INTO YOUR HAIR."

I think that says a lot that just the photos of them make me freak out. They're very lifelike, and the colors are amazing! ;)

13. Brew

Brew Guest

I like those spikes on their bodies!!!!! lol

14. Yick! Those little buggers give me the heebie jeebies too! They look like they could take out a garden. Glad they didn't use those guys in that class B&W feature, "Them"....yick x 100! :shock:

15. Patrick. I have just picked up this post and I am sorry for delay.

I am sorry but these just do not look like any type os Assassin Bug that I know of. For a start there are no wing casings and their size is way to small. Ok, so they have a piercing proboscis but this is not nearly big or strong enough to pierce an insect.

I am fairly certain that they are in fact the larvae of some type of greenfly. They have invaded your tomato plants to suck the sap from the stems and fruit of the plant, and not as Leigh thought, suck the blood out of herself or her husband. Sorry to shatter your illusions of being over run with nasty creepy crawly things in the night!!.

BW. Bob F.

16. PGB

PGB

Jan 25, 2005
    Thats why I ask the experts. Thanks for the reply Bob. I'll try to do some research and see if I can find an example of the greenfly to compare it too.
    Thanks,

17. Okay they do look like the pictures of Assassin Bug nymphs that I have found on the net, that would explain the lack of wing covers and small size, they would feed on small things like aphids and fruit flies.

But I have been wrong many times before....:wink:

Of course these are way better pictures than the ones accompanying any Assassin Bug articles I could find.

Martin

18. You and your damn bugs.

After Martin's post ,which I found when I got up this morning, I knew that somewhere in my library I had a picture of Aphids of this colour. I could remember it was a vertical picture on the right-hand page BUT I COULD NOT REMEMBER which book it was in except that it was published in the 1970's!!
    So some time later, going without my wheatie-bangs and sugar and milk I found it at last. and you know what. Although they were very very similar I am now certain that your ID is CORRECT. The key seems to be in the legs and antennae and their posture. Also the Aphid nymphs do not have such pronounced wing casings at this stage.
    So my devotion to duty has taught me someting else. I am going to have to buy a new library of books covering all insects and spiders American!! Do I get a grant from the Nikon Cafe for this?

Best wishes and thanks Martin.

Bob F.

19. Jerry Snider

Jerry Snider

May 8, 2005
    Bob,
    An excellent job of researching this out! I have found this entire thread excellent and well done. You all are to be congratulated on this exchange.
    J. Snider

20. PGB

PGB

Jan 25, 2005
    Bob,

Thanks for the reply. I appreciate your taking the time out of your busy schedule to look further. About these books. Shoot me a PM and I'll see what I can do. :)

Thanks,