Assasin Bugs????

PGB

Joined
Jan 25, 2005
Messages
7,986
Leigh found these in her garden. I think they are Assassin bugs or possibly Wheelbug Nymphs. I'm sure Bob, Harry, or Martin can clarify.

Thanks for looking.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)


Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)


Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
 
Joined
Jan 26, 2005
Messages
978
Location
Viera Fl
Those are really neat Patrick.

Good shots.

Not sure if Leigh is to thrilled with them in the garden. Unless they eat the bugs that eat the garden.
 
Joined
May 3, 2005
Messages
1,777
Location
IL
Interesting looking insects, Patrick. I don't think I'd like to see them in the garden, either. Did you use the 200mm Micro for these?
 
Joined
Feb 19, 2005
Messages
8,677
Location
Alabama
Gale said:
Those are really neat Patrick.

Good shots.

Not sure if Leigh is to thrilled with them in the garden. Unless they eat the bugs that eat the garden.
Nope, I wasn't too thrilled, especially when I reached down to pick the tomato that they were sitting on and realized there were about 20-30 of them sitting on it! From what I've heard the darn things have a pretty nasty bite so I decided that if Flew wants that one, he's gonna have to come pick it himself! lol :lol: So I left the tomato (and the bugs) where they were and sent Patrick out to take a few pictures of them. He did really well. They are tiny little things, maybe 1/4" long at the most...
 

PGB

Joined
Jan 25, 2005
Messages
7,986
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
  • #5
Lisa said:
Interesting looking insects, Patrick. I don't think I'd like to see them in the garden, either. Did you use the 200mm Micro for these?
Lisa,

I did use the 200 F4 along with the SB-800. They are very tiny. I wasn't too happy with the results that I got. The pics appeared grainy even before I cropped in some. Result of a higher iso. I didn't check it and think all of these were iso 320. I'm working on a homebrew flash bracket and perhaps I'll have that done this weekend.

Thanks for looking.
 
Joined
Mar 11, 2005
Messages
5,963
Location
SF Bay Area, California
It looks like these guys are having a picnic on Frank's tomato! Hey, Flew, you better get over there fast or there won't be anything left!

Great shots, Patrick!

Virginia
aka beaucamera
 
Joined
Jan 25, 2005
Messages
994
Location
Alabama
Hey, I ain't eating any tomatoes with bug on them. :lol:

Cool shots Patrick. You are definitely giving the 200 a workout.
 
S

saturnine

Guest
Ugh, those bugs give me the heebie jeebies... As you can tell, I'm totally not a bug person. On DPreview, a lot of people take pictures of those small jumping spiders, and everytime I see a photo I think "how are you people NOT afraid that those things are going to JUMP INTO YOUR HAIR."

I think that says a lot that just the photos of them make me freak out. They're very lifelike, and the colors are amazing! ;)
 
Joined
May 3, 2005
Messages
3,925
Location
Owings Mills, MD
Yick! Those little buggers give me the heebie jeebies too! They look like they could take out a garden. Glad they didn't use those guys in that class B&W feature, "Them"....yick x 100! :shock:
 
Joined
Feb 9, 2005
Messages
1,524
Location
Penryn Cornwall England
Patrick. I have just picked up this post and I am sorry for delay.

I am sorry but these just do not look like any type os Assassin Bug that I know of. For a start there are no wing casings and their size is way to small. Ok, so they have a piercing proboscis but this is not nearly big or strong enough to pierce an insect.

I am fairly certain that they are in fact the larvae of some type of greenfly. They have invaded your tomato plants to suck the sap from the stems and fruit of the plant, and not as Leigh thought, suck the blood out of herself or her husband. Sorry to shatter your illusions of being over run with nasty creepy crawly things in the night!!.

BW. Bob F.
 

PGB

Joined
Jan 25, 2005
Messages
7,986
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
  • #16
Bob the Spiderman said:
Patrick. I have just picked up this post and I am sorry for delay.

I am sorry but these just do not look like any type os Assassin Bug that I know of. For a start there are no wing casings and their size is way to small. Ok, so they have a piercing proboscis but this is not nearly big or strong enough to pierce an insect.

I am fairly certain that they are in fact the larvae of some type of greenfly. They have invaded your tomato plants to suck the sap from the stems and fruit of the plant, and not as Leigh thought, suck the blood out of herself or her husband. Sorry to shatter your illusions of being over run with nasty creepy crawly things in the night!!.

BW. Bob F.
Thats why I ask the experts. Thanks for the reply Bob. I'll try to do some research and see if I can find an example of the greenfly to compare it too.
Thanks,
 
Joined
Apr 20, 2005
Messages
976
Location
Vancouver Island, B.C., Canada
Bob the Spiderman said:
Patrick. I have just picked up this post and I am sorry for delay.

I am sorry but these just do not look like any type os Assassin Bug that I know of. For a start there are no wing casings and their size is way to small. Ok, so they have a piercing proboscis but this is not nearly big or strong enough to pierce an insect.

I am fairly certain that they are in fact the larvae of some type of greenfly. They have invaded your tomato plants to suck the sap from the stems and fruit of the plant, and not as Leigh thought, suck the blood out of herself or her husband. Sorry to shatter your illusions of being over run with nasty creepy crawly things in the night!!.

BW. Bob F.
Okay they do look like the pictures of Assassin Bug nymphs that I have found on the net, that would explain the lack of wing covers and small size, they would feed on small things like aphids and fruit flies.

But I have been wrong many times before....:wink:

Of course these are way better pictures than the ones accompanying any Assassin Bug articles I could find.

Martin
 
Joined
Feb 9, 2005
Messages
1,524
Location
Penryn Cornwall England
You and your damn bugs.

After Martin's post ,which I found when I got up this morning, I knew that somewhere in my library I had a picture of Aphids of this colour. I could remember it was a vertical picture on the right-hand page BUT I COULD NOT REMEMBER which book it was in except that it was published in the 1970's!!
So some time later, going without my wheatie-bangs and sugar and milk I found it at last. and you know what. Although they were very very similar I am now certain that your ID is CORRECT. The key seems to be in the legs and antennae and their posture. Also the Aphid nymphs do not have such pronounced wing casings at this stage.
So my devotion to duty has taught me someting else. I am going to have to buy a new library of books covering all insects and spiders American!! Do I get a grant from the Nikon Cafe for this?

Best wishes and thanks Martin.

Bob F.
 
Joined
May 8, 2005
Messages
390
Bob,
An excellent job of researching this out! I have found this entire thread excellent and well done. You all are to be congratulated on this exchange.
J. Snider
 

PGB

Joined
Jan 25, 2005
Messages
7,986
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
  • #20
Bob the Spiderman said:
You and your damn bugs.

After Martin's post ,which I found when I got up this morning, I knew that somewhere in my library I had a picture of Aphids of this colour. I could remember it was a vertical picture on the right-hand page BUT I COULD NOT REMEMBER which book it was in except that it was published in the 1970's!!
So some time later, going without my wheatie-bangs and sugar and milk I found it at last. and you know what. Although they were very very similar I am now certain that your ID is CORRECT. The key seems to be in the legs and antennae and their posture. Also the Aphid nymphs do not have such pronounced wing casings at this stage.
So my devotion to duty has taught me someting else. I am going to have to buy a new library of books covering all insects and spiders American!! Do I get a grant from the Nikon Cafe for this?

Best wishes and thanks Martin.

Bob F.
Bob,

Thanks for the reply. I appreciate your taking the time out of your busy schedule to look further. About these books. Shoot me a PM and I'll see what I can do. :)

Thanks,
 
Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom