Assassin Bug with a Meal

Due to these photos I will be ordering a set of manual cheapo extension tubes tomorrow. I would have loved to have caught these photos with full frame shots of this bug and his meal.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

This is an incredible series, what glass were you using?

I especially love your Assassin bug's striped legs!

Nathanael: Very nice captures. I love my Pk tubes . There so great , its like having another lens. What lens are you using for these images?

Gregory

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
great series!!!
Thank you.

This is an incredible series, what glass were you using?

I especially love your Assassin bug's striped legs!
I was using my Sigma 70-300 APO DG Macro at 300mm in Macro mode....this gives me 1:2 which is pretty good.....but as you can see 1:1 or beyond would be helpful.

Great series of a freaky looking predator, the last one takes it for me....
Thanks. I saw one of these bugs a week or two ago and he chased a fly...I had no idea at the time that he was trying to make a meal out of him.

These are great, are thinking about kenkos? I thought someone in the for sale forum had them listed.
Thanks Tom. I'm actually thinking about some cheap ebay fully manual extension tubes. I found that out of all the pictures I took of this series, the ones manually focused were the ones best focused so I don't need AF. Plus I don't need metering as my settings are always about the same and I use flash comp to change my exposure.

Great work.I guess made with a tripod? Did you use any other lightsorce than the sun?
Am i right when the bug is some 6 to 8 mm "big" ?
Yes, I used a tripod on these. I usually get decent results handheld but my keeper rate went up a bit by using the tripod. Plus the bug was there for a good half hour eating so I had plenty of time to setup. My lightsource was a Single SB-600 off camera firing through a white 33" umbrella about 12-18 inches from the flower/bug.

Yeah, the bug was 6-8mm max. The entire flower that it's on wasn't much more than 2-3 inches across. I took a perspective shot of my umbrella next to the flowers, but forgot to post it.

Great shots and I can recommend the Kenko/Danuba tubes. Make sure you've got the full-AF aware set.
Thanks. As said above though....I probably won't need the more costly AF set. I just need something to get me by until I can get something like the Simga 105 or 150 macro lens.

Nate....
these are awesome, truly
well done
Thanks spalding.

Nathanael: Very nice captures. I love my Pk tubes . There so great , its like having another lens. What lens are you using for these images?

Gregory
Thanks Gregory. I think I already said responding to another person above, but I used the Sigma 70-300 APO DG Macro which does incredibly well for it's price. I can imagine how nice some tubes would be...I just worry about my DOF a little which is already thin at 300mm.

Super shots. Great work.
Thank you Torben.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom