Astrophotography Photo Thread (including technique))

Nice, I have a celestron 9.25 HD edge so I have a set up similar but larger. Best first target is the moon to start learning, then star clusters. Planets are possible but your 700 and telescope don't have the zoom or resolution to make anything great but still fun to try. Also, download a program called stellarium as it will help plan realistic targets, get an idea of what your equipment can do and is free. Astrobin.Com is another great site where you can search by gear and get pics taken with that stuff.

Real Name
Keith Jalbert
Thanks I know I can shoot the moon now with what I have but am interested to see what kind of shots I can get with the scope, also hopin to track a couple deep space objects and make attempt at stacking :) but who knows right now Im stuck in the snow in Indiana..lol

Real Name
Ross
Here's one I shot about a two weeks ago at the beach. I edited the image for the milkyway and then swapped the surf and foreground from the un-edited image into the edited image becasue the editing brought out a lot of noise in the foreground.
DSC_8799.foreground-M.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I had done some steel wool spinning the previous night and while I was playing around with Photoshop(as I had just started my subscription) I merged the steel wool shots with this one and was pretty happy with the results.
DSC_8799%2C8780-M.jpg

DSC_8799%2C8785-M.jpg

DSC_8799%2C8784-M.jpg

Real Name
Ross
the above shots for the milky way were f/3.5, 30sec, ISO 800, on a D3200
And here's some star trails from my first attempt at astrophotography in Alabama.
Startrails2%20%282%29-L.jpg

I don't have the exact settings but is was 180 merged exposures of somewhere around f/2.8, 30 sec, ISO 200 or 400 at 16mm

completely new to astrophotography, shot on a Nikon Z50 + Sigma 18-35mm 1.8 These are HDRs with some failed attempts to edit. Still excited and practicing to get better.

DSC_2059-HDR.jpg

DSC_2050-HDR.jpg

DSC_2069.jpg

kilofoxtrott

European Ambassador
Real Name
Klaus
Hey, welcome to the Café.

You've shown great results for a beginner in astrophotography. For me it's stunning to see the Milkyway so clear.
In the last picture, is that dawn or light pollution?

Kind regards
Klaus
Well the big bright bright ball is the light pollution from NYC which is about 60 miles away. I got some other shots at dawn but they were not that good due to how humid it was by dawn and fog was coming from the lake. Waiting for a clear night to roll along to take some better ones.

Last edited:
Caution, this is a hobby that can get out of hand.

85X0153_54.jpg

-Jay-

Real Name
Terry Kontopoulos
Nice topic! I would like to post couple of my attempts to astro from Down Under... ;)
Please comment....

Cape Schanck MilkyWay.jpg

35 shots stacked and edited in Photoshop

Milky Way & Lighthouse.jpg

Composite of two images 45 meters apart... The glow was a surprise "Aurora Australis" as is wasn't visible in the naked eye!...

Nice topic! I would like to post couple of my attempts to astro from Down Under... ;)
Please comment....

View attachment 1772915
35 shots stacked and edited in Photoshop

View attachment 1772917
Composite of two images 45 meters apart... The glow was a surprise "Aurora Australis" as is wasn't visible in the naked eye!...
These are beautiful! I see 4 colored shadows in the second picture running from upper left diagonally down to the bottom. Are they reflections of the supports in the scope?

Real Name
Terry Kontopoulos
These are beautiful! I see 4 colored shadows in the second picture running from upper left diagonally down to the bottom. Are they reflections of the supports in the scope?
Actually we still trying to find from where they coming, the M/W it is shot 45 meters to the right and front of the lighthouse and some people saying that the "black" lines actually are the real sky and the lighter parts are the glow from another lighthouse opposite than this BUT it is nothing but ocean there... I personally believe that they are probably the shadows from the posts (supports as you saying) front of the light beam... The direction of the lines come from the position of the lighthouse at my left and back and always are there to all our photos from MANY shots on different days and seasons...

Last edited:
Real Name
Terry Kontopoulos
My attempt for a deep sky Astro-Photography without a Tracker... 1109 frames plus Darks/Biases/Flats processed with Siril
Orion and Horse-head Nebulae
Nikon Z9 with Z 105 mm MC S f/2.8 1.6 sec

Orion Nebula Mesier 42 Final.jpg

Last edited:

Latest threads

Top Bottom