At Close Range With National Geographic

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Pa, Jul 23, 2007.

1. "The work of nature photographer Joel Sartore, including the challenges of getting candid shots in various locales. Included: comments from National Geographic magazine editors."

Has anyone seen this PBS program? Is it worthwhile?

2. Hi Jim -

No - I haven't seen it.

I don't watch much TV (outside of football season - LOL), but the synopsis is intriguing and I'll look for it.

Eric

3. Hi Jim,

Yes, I did - thanks to davidzvi, who was kind enough to tivo it when my local pbs wasn't airing it.

If you're interested in watching it, PM me.

Sean

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  4. Hi Pa,

I think that is a video that Bob Krist from National Geographic showed while we were on the Lindblad trip in Baja in April. If so, I think you would enjoy it, Joel was working very hard to get the photos that the editors wanted.

Bob

5. Toby D

Toby D

Mar 7, 2006
    Iowaay
    It was very interesting. A very skilled, talented, dedicated and likeable person. He revealed the price of being a pro and what its like. (Still seems worth it to me.)

6. dsp921

dsp921

May 16, 2006
  7. Thanks for the comments, folks. It is airing again from my local PBS station at 8pm Friday. Guess I'll give it a watch.

8. I'm with you, Eric. Were it not for college sports, I might not even own a TV set.

However, I found out last fall that my cable modem connection lets me get several HDTV stations at no extra charge provided I bought an HDTV card for my computer. And HD looks great on my Dell 24-inch Ultrasharp computer monitor, so I enjoy an occasional PBS or Discovery Channel program, and the operas from the Met which have been airing in HD through PBS.

9. sreeves31

sreeves31

Jun 25, 2007
    Mason, OH
    Excellent show that does not candy coat the job and life of a Nat Geo photographer. I have it on my DVR and have watched it motre than once. Among other things Joel Sartore is fairly quotable - one quote I remember about setting and light Joel says, "I like to get myself into places where my grandmother could take a good picture." Well worth the time and trouble to hunt it down.

10. billg71

billg71

May 4, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    Very good show! I kept it on the Replay for a while and then bought the DVD. Well worth the money.

Bill

11. Thanks for the recommendations, folks. This program aired late last night on our local PBS affiliate and I was able to watch it and record it for future viewing (though I never seem to get around to watching something for the second time).

A very interesting and informative program, and lots of Nikon equipment on display. It is interesting that the photographer, Joel Sartore, still has not moved to digital photography.

12. He has taken up digital. If you check his studio website, his assistant makes mention of the transition from shooting with F6's to the D-series in 2005.

http://www.katie.dainto.org/?p=75

13. Perusing Joel's web page, I came across his list of equipment, and discussion of how he travels:

My first camera was a Nikon FM2. I paid extra to get the all black body. No motor drive. It came with one short, fixed focus lens, probably a 28mm. My first big lens purchase was a Nikon 180mm f.28. It was tack sharp and put a lot of pictures into my early portfolio.

Things have changed a lot since then, though. These days, I only use digital cameras. They're great because the feedback is instant, allowing me to experiment a little more than I might with film. The downside is that the equipment is more expensive, and digital files are costly to archive. The other problem with digital is that there is no surefire way to store the images. The only way to be absolutely certain you'll be able to view an image in twenty years or more is to transfer it to paper or film.

Whether it's film or digital, you need to be prepared for the worst. Equipment can and does fail, and there's nothing worse than having to cancel a shoot because your gear isn't working. I always carry more than one camera body, more than one lens, more than one battery and more than one charger. It makes for a lot of extra baggage, but better that than a missed opportunity. When traveling by air, I take the minimum I need to hit the ground and start shooting in a carry-on. That way if my checked baggage is lost, I can still accomplish the mission.

A typical field setup includes the following:

* Nikon D2Xs Camera bodies
    * Nikon D200 Camera body
    * Nikon 12-24 f/4 zoom lens
    * Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 zoom lens
    * Nikon 28-70 mm f/2.8 AF-S zoom lens
    * Nikon 70-200 mm f/2.8 AF-S VR zoom lens
    * Nikon 400 mm f/2.8 AF-S lens
    * Nikon 600 mm f/4 AF-S lens
    * Nikon 105mm f/2.8 AF-S VR lens (for macro work)
    * 1.4x teleconverter
    * 2x teleconverter
    * Nikon SB-800 flash
    * Nikon SB-28 flash
    * Nikon SB-80DX flash
    * Minolta Autometer VF Light Meter
    * Gitzo tripod
    * Kirk BH3 ball head
    * Wimberly head (for large lenses)
    * Really Right Stuff mounting plates
    * Gold/silver reflector
    * Amber gel