At long last.

Ever since I joined this forum I have lusted after a macro lens. I am now the proud owner (as of yesterday) of a 105 VR. Boy, what a fantastic lens. I told myself that when I got it the first thing I would take pictures of was a doll that my grandmother gave me. As a child she would occassionally take it out and allow me to play with it. I wanted so badly for her to give it to me. But she waited until I was an adult to give it to me and it is one of my most prized possessions. So I thought it was apt I take pictures of it. Looks like she needs a bit of a dusting though.

dollface.gif
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

View attachment 93755

View attachment 93756

Wow works great

Thats not fair.
I DO NOT NEED ANOTHER LENS
ETC ETC ETC ETC

Oh Gale, You need this one!

This is my first attempt at posting and image. I hope they look like they do on my monitor. This lens is a lot of fun. I was playing last night with the sb-800 on its stand firing remote with the d200 in commander mode, shooting macro. Very cool.

Although I did not impress the puppy.

484290288_e0d650b134_b.jpg

484299538_4661e4fe4b_b.jpg

484299548_c1b2bf4ebd_b.jpg

Like Yvette, I guess I should refrain from eating the chips, then using the remote, then macro photos.

I see the post preview and the snaps don't look good at all. Maybe someone can help me. I exported from LR, then uploaded to flickr. Are there settings that I should change? The color is badly degraded and the brightness is way down. Help

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow works great

Thats not fair.
ETC ETC ETC ETC

You do need another lens
You do need another lens
You do need another lens

I don't think anyone would be sorry if they bought this lens Gale. I am going to have so much fun with it.

This is my first attempt at posting and image. I hope they look like they do on my monitor.

they show all right but are a bit small. This site software allows a maximum of 950 pixels across the screen. On my monitor your shots occupy about 20% of my screen's width. You might want to play around with the hosting settings to try and get them nice and large. If you overshoot that's not a problem because the software here will reduce it back down to 950 pixels.

Thanks, Rich

Thanks Rich

I went back and found the larger sizes for the links and edited the posts. They look better but the color is still an issue. I don't know if it is the conversion to JPEG or what. I will have to keep experimenting.

Thanks again for your direction.

Yvette, you'll have a lot of fun with this new macro lens! It is so versatile, too: you can shoot great macros, of course, as you have already found, but also it works really nicely as a portrait lens, too....

Gale: if you're wanting to do macro and right now the 105mm VR isn't feasible, see if you can pick up either the 60mm macro (still one of my favorites) or the 105mm Micro-Nikkor that isn't the VR version....

Cadman, I don't know what is causing your problem; could it be the way Flickr handles images? You might want to look into a different gallery hosting program, such as pBase, Smugmug or Zenfolio.....IMHO all of these present images in a much more professional and accurate way than Flickr does.

G

Gr8Tr1x

I knew you'd love it! It's great isn't it? It wil spoil you like nothing else.... You might want to consider something like a 50mm 1.8 next. Suepr sharp and very affordable ($100).

Congratulations to you on your new lens. I know you must be thrilled and the doll is cute too.

Thrilled is an understatement. I have wanted a macro lens for so long.

Yvette, you'll have a lot of fun with this new macro lens! It is so versatile, too: you can shoot great macros, of course, as you have already found, but also it works really nicely as a portrait lens, too....

Gale: if you're wanting to do macro and right now the 105mm VR isn't feasible, see if you can pick up either the 60mm macro (still one of my favorites) or the 105mm Micro-Nikkor that isn't the VR version....

Cadman, I don't know what is causing your problem; could it be the way Flickr handles images? You might want to look into a different gallery hosting program, such as pBase, Smugmug or Zenfolio.....IMHO all of these present images in a much more professional and accurate way than Flickr does.

I have seen the portraits taken with this lens and I have been very impressed. I will have to give it a try.....line up kids!

I knew you'd love it! It's great isn't it? It wil spoil you like nothing else.... You might want to consider something like a 50mm 1.8 next. Suepr sharp and very affordable ($100).

Joshua, you really want to get me into trouble. It is bad enough that after I got the lens on Thursday I immediately HAD to buy a tripod. :biggrin:

I went back and found the larger sizes for the links and edited the posts. They look better but the color is still an issue. I don't know if it is the conversion to JPEG or what. I will have to keep experimenting.

Thanks again for your direction.

It is common knowledge(well common to photography geeks!) that images using sRGB are brighter and have more contrast that images done with Adobe98 on the Internet. If this is why you're disappointed you might want to make sure you convert your imges to sRGB prior to posting.

Thanks, Rich

Congratulations Yvette! Welcome to the world of macro! I love it and my 105VR stays on one of my D200s most of the time. I use the 70-180 or 200 micro in conservatories handheld or on a monopod where permitted.

I can't wait to see your next subject. I planted most of my seeds and thinned my zinnia seedlings yesterday (thanks to a coorperative goldfinch). My butterfly garden should be finished this week. Here is a sample with the 105VR taken last year at a local butterfly conservatory: http://www.pbase.com/cympearson/image/64835472

Congratulations Yvette! Welcome to the world of macro! I love it and my 105VR stays on one of my D200s most of the time. I use the 70-180 or 200 micro in conservatories handheld or on a monopod where permitted.

I can't wait to see your next subject. I planted most of my seeds and thinned my zinnia seedlings yesterday (thanks to a coorperative goldfinch). My butterfly garden should be finished this week. Here is a sample with the 105VR taken last year at a local butterfly conservatory: http://www.pbase.com/cympearson/image/64835472

Thanks Crystall. Your pictures are beautiful. I hope I end up taking shots like that. It is a great lens and I can't wait to get out and experiment with it. Haven't had much chance this week-end but hopefully next week I can get out and play.

M

Mitchell-Krog

Yvette, well done on your purchase of the 105VR, I just got mine 2 weeks ago and I am loving it, really great lens. Some of my shots with it coming shortly.

Latest threads

Top Bottom