At Rest.... with the Sigma 30

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Holmes, Jul 23, 2007.

1. Holmes

Holmes

Oct 28, 2006
    Wyoming, USA
    My critters surely get tired of my practice sessions but such are the tribulations of life under my roof!

D80, 1/45 s, ISO 1400, F1.4, -0.5 EV, measured WB

DSC_0002_filtered.

2. Preston

Preston

May 2, 2005
    Reno, NV
    Sounds like my house. I love that lens, although Ihave benn on an 85mm 1.4 kick lately.

3. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

very nice Holmes...good looking hound too ...;-))

4. weiran

weiran

Jan 2, 2007
    Nottingham, UK
    Excellent shot, I should use mine more.

5. francishmt

francishmt

Jun 29, 2006
    I love my 30/1.4 too. It likes to be in action and doesn`t like to stay in the bag!!!

6. lamk

lamk Guest

Nice. I am thinking about buying this as my "normal" lens for my d200. Any distortion that you notice?

7. cotdt

cotdt

Jul 14, 2007
    Bay Area, USA
    I love this lens, it is m favorite. there is some barrel distortion like . percent or so, but very little CA. some vignetting wide open. no big deal.

8. lamk

lamk Guest

Well, I'll think I'll add this to my Sigma Stable in the near future.
    thanks

9. Holmes

Holmes

Oct 28, 2006
    Wyoming, USA
    I cannot think of a finer 'kick' in which to be caught!

Thank you, Nuteshack. A few hours before this capture she had been swimming a river and then rolling the dirt and weeds into her coat. I've learned most of the finer points of canine grooming with this goofy lady pooch!

Thanks, Weiran. Mine sat around quite a bit at first because I was so locked on the Nikkor 35/2. I finally put the Nikon in the storage closet in an attempt to force myself to use this controversial lens. It took a bit of getting used to as is the case with any ultra-fast lens but I'm really enjoying it now. And still learning it!

That's a sure sign of a great lens!

There is some as Cotdt mentioned but you quickly learn how to control it with subject distance and composition. I was quite close to Gizmo when I took that shot, right to the point of objectionable distortion. Architechural photography is not part of my repertoire so I can' comment on that aspect of the Sigma.

Agreed. The minimal distortion really isn't an issue and the CA control is wonderful, especially considering a lens of this nature.

Another upside is that most of the late samples of this lens seem to be performing better out-of-the-box as compared to earlier versions. This is purely an anecdotal observation based on various current user reports around the internet. Hopefully, Sigma can keep this neat lens on the straight and true for all the fans of fast 'normal' glass.

Regards to all :smile:

10. cotdt

cotdt

Jul 14, 2007
    Bay Area, USA
    Yes, based on anecdotal reports and my own experience, Sigma completely resolved the autofocus issue and the corner sharpness issue. Mine can autofocus like a dream, spot on even in the dark, and corner sharpness is excellent unlike the earlier samples. This is my most used lens!

11. Terri French

Terri French

May 5, 2005
    Idaho
    What a sweetheart!! Thanks again for your advice with Wile E.

12. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

well, that would be nice. i guess in time we'll now for sure:biggrin:

13. Jonathan P.

Jonathan P.

Jul 10, 2007
    Appalachia
    Does your 35mm f/2 get any use now that you have the Sigma? I'm debating about getting the Sigma, but past experience with 3rd-party lenses (Sigma, Tokina, and Tamron) keeps holding me back. I need a fast f/1.4 lens, and have almost pulled the trigger on the Nikkor 50mm f/1.4 several times, but I know I'll find the focal length a bit too long.

Do you think that the Sigma 30mm f/1.4 is clearly better than the Nikkor 35mm f/2? If so, then I might just go ahead and take a chance on the Sigma.

14. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

btw, half rotti half lab?

15. cotdt

cotdt

Jul 14, 2007
    Bay Area, USA
    They are about the same in terms of image quality (though the colors are always slightly different), both very sharp. the 35/2 has less barrel distortion but the 30/1.4 has much less CA. the barrel distortion on the 30/1.4 is not bad anyway, and is never a problem for me, while the 35/2's CA can indeed be a problem. seeing that the sigma has an extra stop, i would recommend the sigma for that reason alone.

16. Jonathan P.

If you need a F/1,4 you should really get the sigma, its great for lowlight (given you get a good copy). Get the Nikkor if you tend to shoot stopped down and want corner to corner sharpness.

I recently sold my sigma, and ordered the Zeiss 35mm/2. Not because the sigma is bad in anyway, i just like the look and the feel of the zeiss.

17. I would like to see other pics with this lens, I'm thinking in get one..

18. snakeman

snakeman

Feb 26, 2006
    UK
    I think the close focus of the nikon would win me over..

19. On a somewhat related note, my 35 f2 is on its way. Yay!

20. Brent M

Brent M

Aug 13, 2006
    Here are a few FWIW:

f/5
    DSC_8424.

f/3.2
    DSC_8052.

f/2
    DSC_7328.

f/1.4
    DSC_6883.