AT&T’s New Bandwidth Cap

B

Bill N

This is just for DLS customers I see. I guess if I received broadband from them I would just fire up tether on unlimited iphone and get my netflix that way and save some bandwidth.:biggrin: These companies always try to get every nickel they can. Then they complain when people use the same tech to bypass their rules.:rolleyes:

The real issue is un-metered service. It's kind of like pre-paying for gasoline on a monthly basis with no differentiation between folks who use 100 gallons a month and those who use 1000 gallons a month. Everyone pays the same.

We have been conditioned by the ISPs over the past couple of decades to expect fixed rate access. Now that a small percentage of users are gobbling up the available bandwidth, the ISPs are hoist on their own petard (what's a petard, BTW?). There would be howls of protest if any of them started charging on a per unit of use basis. So, they put caps in place so they can collect per unit of use fees on the biggest users.

I don't think my old AT&T dsl service could have provided me with 150gb per month of bandwidth. I recently cancelled my service with them. Switched to Time Warner Cable. Should have done it years ago.

This is just for DLS customers I see.

It's for all DSL and Uverse customers. DSL customers at all levels will have a 150gb cap, while uverse will have a 250gb cap.

I'm a DSL customer but I don't know how - or if - this is really going to impact me. I watch Netflix a lot, have VOIP phones, do all my office work from home (email, faxes online, etc), and of course all my photo work is online.

To add to the aggravation I've noticed a trend that people are sending massive attachments in their emails these days. Back in the dialup days people knew better, but now that a 5-10mb file only takes a few minutes (or less) they don't think anything of it. I use gmail so I can at least delete that nonsense without downloading it, but network-wide I can see where people might start to get stung by it.

I wasn't aware that comcast was capping. Brighthouse is the only competitor to AT&T-DSL in this area and they're not indicating that they're capping any time soon. I'd wager they get some converts.

I know that i ran into it a few times on another carrier and was able to call them and yell and scream and get them to open it back up for the month. Now back then i was well not using it for the most well you get the idea i now have a large music collection...

Having talked with a few reps the real reason companies started doing this was to help cut down on the people that were illegally downloading material from the internet. ATT is just reeling still from their lack of knowledge as to how much bandwith iphone and ipad users are taking from the cell market that still have the unlimited data plans.

Charter put a 100GB cap on last year if I remember. Also they raised their speed from 8mb to 12mb for the lowest tier. Personally I'd rather have 6mb and RELIABLE internet than 12mb internet that drops on a regular basis.

... the ISPs are hoist on their own petard (what's a petard, BTW?)...

IIRC it was a medieval predecessor of the hand-grenade, sadly prone to premature detonation. This often led to the would-be operator following a fatal (if brief but spectacular) ballistic trajectory through the air...

Wish my provider did that. My service used to be fast - and it still is, at 3AM (at night for our military time friends). The rest of the time those bandwidth suckers are eating up my fast service.
Charge them for it, I say. And charge them hard.

As far as Uverse is concerned, is bandwidth usage (not necessarily by me but others on the node) have anything to do with a freezing of Uverse services. There are times when TV, internet and phone service all drop out. It's a real problem when people are over watching a sporting event.

I'm a U verse customer and use netflix and Vudu.

If they cap the amount of data I can use that's going to really be annoying. Of course AT&T will find a way to make a bit more money out of it.

BTW, I also hate when the U verse locks up. and the customer service is not really great. I had issues with my DVR and was told I could not use HDMI cable's and need composite cables. Hardly an elegant use of modern technology

... hoist on their own petard (what's a petard, BTW?).

That expression was coined by the Bard, William Shakespeare, in Hamlet.

It's an ironic expectation that relates to a siege bomb going off and killing the (siege) engineer who sets it, essentially the expectation that someone with bad intentions (bad if you're the folk in the castle being stormed) is destroyed by the very thing that they use on another.

But then, you already knew that...

John P.

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
Petard:
1.1 A small engine of war used to blow in a door or gate, or to make a breach in a wall, etc.; originally of metal and bell-shaped, later a cubical wooden box, charged with powder, and fired by a fuse. (Now Hist.)

1604 Shakes. Ham. iii. iv. 207 (2nd Quarto) For tis the sport to haue the enginer Hoist with his owne petar.

It actually predates Hamlet, Shakespeare invented the saying about hoisting, not the word, e.g.
1598 Florio, Petardo, a squib or petard of gun powder vsed to burst vp gates or doores with.

It actually predates Hamlet, Shakespeare invented the saying about hoisting, not the word, e.g.

Exactly so - Shakespeare coined the expression from the term used in siege warfare with his typically clever manner of mixing terms to his ends.

I see that you too have an OED available. That 1598 usage predates the Bard's by a number of years, although I've also seen some discussions of the French origin of the word, having perhaps a far more vulgar connotation less suitable for this family-oriented forum when combined with the words "hoisted on his own..."

Shakespeare did indeed love the double-entendre in plays and poetry, eh ?

What a wonderful language is English ! :wink:

John P.

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
Quite right John, I have the latest version of the OED on my PC. I love it.

I actually worked on the original computerisation of the OED for the creation of the second edition, in the 1980's. I even have a credit for my work in the start of it, but with huge irony they spelled my name wrong!

I checked my utilization, which is obscenely Netflix, Hulu, GoogleDocs, and work used. I have not yet exceeded 70GB in a month. I'm not worried.

My cap was 40GB. It was moved to 50GB and I have since upgraded to the 75GB per month cap. Every gig thereafter is about 5 bucks.

I have 15 down and 1 up

I would kill for a larger cap. We're at 60gb/mo for a house with four people. Needless to say we're paying overages every month :(

Thankfully our overages are capped at $30, which happens to be the price difference between us and the next service tier which has a 120GB cap, so we just pay the difference and essentially get an unmetered cap for $30 more.

Commodorefirst

Admin/Moderator
Administrator
I just would like to know my usage for my DSL from ATT,

On the phone for several hours the other day, and no one could tell me, even the level II and III techs here in the states. I have to use their official location:

www.myusage.att.com however they can't access my numbers for me yet......

you would think they could have answered my question with a number for Dec, Jan, or Feb.....

here is what pops up for me....

AT&T is not able to capture usage data on all of its customers. Customers whose usage is not available for viewing should not be concerned about their usage patterns for billing purposes.

long sigh......

to put things in perspective, If I did online movies and downloaded just 10 Hd movies to watch in a month I would nearly be over my allotment. I don't but I do some streaming of shows online, and of course a lot of photo sharing back and forth and the cafe and etc. etc. etc. ......well you all know exactly how it is.

Should be an interesting next 3-5 months........:biggrin:

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom