AT&T fiber optics

Discussion in 'General Technical Discussion' started by PLPhoto, Jul 12, 2007.

1. Is anyone using AT&Ts fiber optic internet services or fiber optic internet period? I had a rep some by the house tonight informing me that fiber optics are now available and I'm curious, because I know that stuff is crazy fast.

2. My girlfriend "rewired" her house a couple months ago with Verizon fiber optics and it has worked out great. She has 15mb/sec downstream, 5mb/sec upstream. Everything has been solid and we've verified those speeds with several different speed tests around the country.

I'm lucky to have DSL where I am, nevermind fiber optics :)

3. I'm using Verizon's FiOS fiber optic service for both high speed internet and HD TV service. I'm very happy with both. The internet has been available 100% of the time without any problems, and the speeds have always been exactly what is advertised.

I really like the fact that it doesn't slow down at night like Cable where you are sharing your internet connection with everyone else in the neighborhood, and fiber optics are the fastest and most reliable network connections that you can get.

The TV service is also good, much clearer picture on both HD and non-HD channels then I used to get with Comcast. The only drawback is that the "on demand" programming of free and pay TV and movies was much better on Comcast then what Verizon offers.

4. Thanks folks, I think I'll give it a try, it's cheaper than my Time Warner service and I'm not all to please with them of late.

5. I'm using it back here in Pats country. It's fast, but when I ran some tests at DSLReports and other sites, it's somewhat slower from Boston to west coast sites; quite fast for sites up and down the eastern seaboard.

Also, for my install anyway, there are two large boxes. One goes outside (although I have heard of some folks getting both inside) and the other typically goes inside. The inside box primarily contains battery backup and as such, needs to be located near an outlet. I had to pay extra $ to have an electrician wire a new outlet so I could hide the box in my closet.

6. Thanks for the info Chris. They come next week to install, I have about another 3 months out here and then we move back to NE. Their deal was 3 months free, so heck, might as well try it out.