1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

AT&T U-verse

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by latazyo, Aug 19, 2008.

1. latazyo

latazyo

Apr 23, 2008
    STL
    does anyone have this for television

it looks pretty sweet and is cheaper than Charter in my area (not to mention that charter kind of stinks)

I was thinking about switching and just wondering if anyone has any opinions on it

good or bad, please let me know

wouldnt mind hearing about their internet service either since I'd need both

2. senna

senna

Jan 6, 2007
    San Jose Ca.
    My neighbor has it. he seems happy with it, comming from comcast.

I am pretty sure I am going to switch to it. I like the speed of the internet service. The dvr package and HD

3. They are installing the jucntion boxes locally now. They have ticked off quite a few home owners with where they are installin them.

4. fks

fks

Apr 30, 2005
    sf bay area
    hi leighton-

i've had uverse for several months. switched from comcast for cable and at&t for dsl. no problems with the DSL, but the video has a few issues:

1. quality in HD isn't as good as cable. there's visible pixellation if there's lots of motion (sports) and large areas of color show coarse gradients
    2. as of now, you can only watch 2 HD channels at a time. that's up from one a month ago
    3. you can only watch and/or record a total of four different channels. we have four tv's in the house, and if they're all on different channels, you can't record another.
    4. the DVR only works on the tv that has the DVR box.

i'm sticking with them though because of the lower price for the entire package and the added channels (bbc, scifi, speed).

ricky

5. mdruiz

mdruiz

Feb 18, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    I'm a employee...what do you want to know

6. latazyo

latazyo

Apr 23, 2008
    STL
    thanks for the input everyone

I am a 1 TV household and I dont have PIP, so the 4 shows at once would definitely be enough (it would only be relevant for DVR purposes)

I am just wondering if it would be worth the PITA of switching companies just to save about $15/month

ricky - I am very concerned about that pixellation thing...have you heard that from other users? what type of TV are you on? I have 50" DLP, I wonder if I"d have the same problem??

Mike - I do have a question...Im for sure switching to AT&T wireless next month, would I be able to combine my wireless, internet, and TV into one bill or would I have 2?

7. mdruiz

mdruiz

Feb 18, 2008
    Orlando, FL

8. fks

fks

Apr 30, 2005
    sf bay area
    hi leighton-

i'm on a 37" LCD. i would think it would be even more visible on a 50" screen. i don't know anyone else with uverse.

ricky

BTW, when uverse was installed, i still had comcast for about a month. i was able to switch between the two while watching HD broadcasts (lost and maybe heroes IIRC). comcast definitely had the better quality.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 20, 2008
  9. I had it for a short time when I lived in San Diego, I had no problem with it and preferred it over Time Warner.

10. mdruiz

mdruiz

Feb 18, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    Its 1080P output, which is the same as bluray. You are aloud a max of 5 TV on the service but only 2 at any time will be able to get HDTV. This isnt cable or satelite. The service run through a ADSL connection. So consider this Streaming HDTV. You also have the abilty to look at Flickr accounts through your television...yes in HD.

11. latazyo

latazyo

Apr 23, 2008
    STL
    thanks ricky...one thing I like is that they do not require a contract, so if the quality is lacking then I wont have a hassle switching to something else

thanks again Mike

how does the signal get into my apartment?

is there a receiver of some sort, will they have to go in through a window, etc

or will it be through existing structure (assuming they have coverage in my locale)

12. mdruiz

mdruiz

Feb 18, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    you have ADSL?

13. latazyo

latazyo

Apr 23, 2008
    STL
    I have no idea what that is

and I live in an apartment, however when I put my address in on ATTs website it says that service is available, but I dont know if that is relevant to this discussion

14. mdruiz

mdruiz

Feb 18, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    the HD service is transmitted through a high speed internet connection

15. senna

senna

Jan 6, 2007
    San Jose Ca.
    In my nieghbors house the signal came in through the existing phone wires. Yes the four (two each for two phone lines)small wires that the phone uses.

16. N_Addy

N_Addy

Dec 16, 2007
    DFW, Texas
    I just switched from Charter cable to AT&T U-Verse three weeks ago. IMHO it is WAY better than cable for roughly the same money. Many more bells-and-whistles. The DVR lets you record up to 4 shows simultaneously. I find the interactive guide easy to use and love the search feature (something my cable didn't offer).

They will be rolling out "Whole Home DVR" soon. That oughta tip the scales quite a bit.

17. FotoPhocus

FotoPhocus

Jun 15, 2008
    For those of you with Uverse internet, how do you like it? What speed do you have?

18. schuds

schuds

Dec 4, 2007
    Wisconsin
    I've been a U-Verse subscriber since May of 2007. I'm a sucker for being a guinea pig. After a few teething pains during the first few months the service has been close to perfect.

U-Verse literally networks your entire house with CAT5 cable. CAT5 goes to every TV. Each TV and each wired computer is assigned an IP address. The boxes run Windows CE. I have 3 TVs and 3 computers running off of it. The high def is noticably better than that I received with cable. The techs have told me the quality difference is due to the fact that when you choose a channel, you only receive the feed from that channel instead of the entire spectrum of channels. The "single feed" enables programming to be provided with less signal compression than cable.

Internet service has been rock-solid. I have 3Mbps service. I don't recall ever having to restart the system for internet-related issues. Even after my router got zapped by lightning the internet kept chugging along while the TV was dead.

It's worked out well for me.

Regards

19. FotoPhocus

FotoPhocus

Jun 15, 2008
    Thanks Joe, you just convinced me!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.