At the Beach

Played up around St Augustine last week.
I rarely (never) use a wide lens, but this just called for it.
Looks nice leaning on the easel
Please critique away, as I rarely do this landscape stuff.
Thanks
gary
beach 82221  61050.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Played up around St Augustine last week.
I rarely (never) use a wide lens, but this just called for it.
Looks nice leaning on the easel
Please critique away, as I rarely do this landscape stuff.
Thanks
gary View attachment 1688578

I like it very much. Great sense of action and beautiful colours. Odd feeling of being tilted slightly to the right yet the horizon looks straight.

The imbalance of the front right area being devoid of white tones is counterbalanced by the imbalance of the green wave in the left rear area. Really nice!

The sand appears somewhat orange on my calibrated monitor. Is that the natural color of the sand in that area?

Some of the northern Fl beaches have a red sand, mix of cortina and sand. This is as close as I can remember to being the correct color in print. I did nothing to colors- but we all know they can move all over the place.
I, of course, have lots of these with many different shapes of the receding waves- I liked the motion and flow of this one- as well as the balance the wave provided.
These were fun to shoot.
gary

The imbalance of the front right area being devoid of white tones is counterbalanced by the imbalance of the green wave in the left rear area. Really nice!

The sand appears somewhat orange on my calibrated monitor. Is that the natural color of the sand in that area?
I would like it more without the sand.

Beautiful! Although usually I don't like the slowing-down/smoothing of natural water movement and such, in this image I like all the soft blending of colors..... Nicely done!

I'm not a big wide-angle lens user, either but recently I finally bit the bullet and got something to fill that big gap in my focal length range. The Sony 12-24mm f/2.8 is an incredible lens and I probably will never do it justice but it definitely is a gorgeous lens that performs beyond expectations. If you have an opportunity some time, check it out!

This was so far out of my comfort zone it was fun.
I have 100's of these. Interesting to hear different thoughts. I actually like the sand.
Will pop a couple others up over the next couple of weeks.

The Sony 12-24mm f/2.8 is an incredible lens
I looked at the sony 12-24 f2.8. Drool, drool.
I went with the sigma 14-24 primarily because I can mount nd filters at the rear of the lens. I have the nikon 12-24mm and the bulbous front prevents the use of most filters. If you don't use nd filters, that obviously is not an issue.
The sony was also much bigger and heavier. It certainly is a better lens- but this little baby was good enough, for now anyway.
gary

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
Very nice, Gary!!!!

Great shutter speed, patterns and colors! The green really helps the image.

Try a slight crop off the bottom, taking off just a wee bit of the rock in the lower left corner. To my eye, this anchors the image more strongly and simplifies the image. Something like this:

beach 82221  61050_A.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Real Name
Harry
Some of the northern Fl beaches have a red sand, mix of cortina and sand. This is as close as I can remember to being the correct color in print. I did nothing to colors- but we all know they can move all over the place.
I, of course, have lots of these with many different shapes of the receding waves- I liked the motion and flow of this one- as well as the balance the wave provided.
These were fun to shoot.
gary
Having grown up in St Augustine and north Florida, I think the term for the mixture is coquina rather than cortina. Love everything about that photo. Great combination of colors and composition.

Commodorefirst

Admin/Moderator
Administrator
Awesome image, and I like Karen’s crop suggestion, and the fact she nominated the image for feature!

Cool note, the title area at the bottom of your image on the feature page serves as a natural crop!

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom