At the Eagle's nest (day 2) - Long post....

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Flew, Dec 24, 2005.

1. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    I was off work yesterday, so I decided to go back over to the Eagles nest early to get some shots in decent light. I got there right after sunrise, and the female was already in the tree. Unfortunately, it was so foggy that a decent shot wasn't possible, so I left for the long drive around to the south side of the dam to shoot GBH's for a few hours.

I finally got back at about 2:30, and then waited and waited and waited. I began to wonder whether I had picked the right hobby. Suddenly though, just before sundown this time, I was rewarded by the return of the male. He circled around the nest, and flew in and out of the trees between the nest and the big tree where we try to catch them, and then finally he landed in the tree. I got several decent shots before he flew off back to the nest. Then, a couple of minutes later, his better half left the nest, and headed right for the tree. Their approach is behind a row of trees, so you can't lock on until the last second, as they flare out to land. Here are a few of the shots that I got. :smile:

Popping up from behind the trees:
    [​IMG]

Flaring out for the landing:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ready for touch down:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Touch down:
    [​IMG]

Yakkin':
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I love the D2H. These are less than half of the shots in the sequence. :tongue:

2. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

3. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    WOWOWOWOWOWWOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOWO

HOLEY SMOKES

THE BEST I HAVE EVER SEEN
    You have been rewarded greatly.

Your skills are fantastic......

Flewwww you have no Idea how HAPPY i am for YOU.

WELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL DONEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. Great stuff, Frank, these are superb. I know what you mean re: fog, we had some mist on the river to contend with yesterday ourselves, wish we had the sky and positioning you had. What distance would you estimate you were from this site?

5. Greaaaaaaaaat Eagleeeeeeeeeeee Sequeeeeeeeeeence

Frank,

I'm amazed that you were able to catch this sequence. I realize now that you really know what you are doing. My vanity had forced me to assume you were just lucky all the time. Greaaaaaaaaaaaaat Sequence. Maybe I'll see you at the nest later this week so you can give me some lessons. :wink:

Merry Christmas,

6. Wow Frank, now I wish I had not posted my pictures. Great series and something I will have to work on to get any thing close.

7. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Spectacular work Flew! These top the already good shots from the other day. Congrats, your hard work and persistance really paid off in spades!

8. Sheeesh! What a series! Great work Frank. I know what you mean about having a small window for focus aquisition - that can be very tricky.

9. dbirdsong

dbirdsong Guest

Those are fantastic photos...

10. Boy did you nail that sequence! Perhaps I should go back to my Point N Shoot camera. :) Thanks for your post and setting a goal.

11. bfjr

bfjr Guest

Your Machine Gun really nailed it there, Frank !!!

Great stuff

12. Guess you're putting Harry to shame now with his stuffed NG eagle! Nice job on these!!

13. cknight

cknight

May 2, 2005
    Madison, AL
    great shots Frank. Now I'll have to go over there when I get back.

14. Those are the best I have seen of an eagle. What a great catch of a very noble bird.

Frank, where is that tree? When I lived in Grant I was all over northern Alabama. However that was 15 years ago.

15. jfenton

jfenton

Jan 26, 2005
    Haverhill, MA
    Frank

That 's why I miss the 8fps :(

Excellent wing spread my freind and no blur at all.

I think they need to be a tad brighter and they need a hint more contrast as well?

16. Frank, those are OUTSTANDING!! How were you able too get up to almost eye level with them? Is the nest at a location where you are able to be up on a bluff even with it? Or did you have to build a platform to get up there? Sure wish we had a location like that around here. All my Bald Eagle shots are the typical "up the nose" shots. I even have a nest in my backyard, but they only ever sit at the top of a 150' tree.

Super job man! :smile:

t

17. Ouch, you sure know how to hurt a guy with this great series. Now what are we average people supposed to post to even come close to this. Wonderful images and you gotta love the D2H capabilities. Soooooo cool.

18. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Gee, thanks everyone for the kind comments. The Eagle really deserves the credit. I've been over to their nest 15 or 20 times over the last year, and this is the first time I've actually seen them land in decent light.

Bill I was about 100 - 120 feet from the base of the tree where she landed. The tree is about 60 - 80 feet tall, so I would estimate that I was 140 - 160 feet away.

Muril The day that I teach you anything will be right after the 4th blue moon in a month. Thanks for the nice words though. :smile:

James There is nothing wrong with your shots. I'd love the opportunity to come shoot with you guys sometime. It looks awesome.

Ray The tree is at the end of the road that goes down to the dam from 431 (about 3.5 miles). It used to be up the power line, but I heard that lightning hit that tree, so they built a new nest at the current location last year.

Tim See my response to Bill for specifics, but I was probably 60 - 80 feet below them, looking up at about 30 degrees.

19. RForshey

RForshey Guest

Just fabulous shots Frank, well done!

20. Frank, I know where you are talking about. Been down that road many times.