At the Eagle's nest....

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Flew, Dec 23, 2005.

1. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Our owner let everyone off at 12:00 today, so I headed over to the Eagle's nest in hopes of getting some shots of them in decent light. One was on the nest, but as has been the case in my last several trips, they weren't flying.

I left for a couple of hours (to shoot GBH's), and then headed back to the nest at about 3:30. Great light, but no Eagles. Finally, just as the sun was setting, the male flew over, circled 'the tree', but then went on to the nest. I guess the female needed a break, because about two minutes later, she came off of the nest, and headed right towards where I was set up.

I wish that she had appeared about 10 minutes earlier because the light was really good then, but at least I got some shots. Here are some of them. Shot with the D2H / 300 2.8 + 1.7 TC. I was pushing the shutter and aperture to the max trying to avoid going to ISO 400, so there's some motion blur, and the light was so dim that I did get a little noise, but I'm fairly happy with these. :smile:

Approach:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Touch down:

[​IMG]

Soaking up some rays:

[​IMG]

I'm going back in the morning. Be there before sunrise. :rolleyes:

2. I would be happy with these too! Sweet shots Frank, I see why you want to get up early and have another go at these majestic birds!!! Nicely done!

3. cknight

cknight

May 2, 2005
    Madison, AL
    Nice Frank. I'd take those. I think the last two are the best.

4. dbirdsong

dbirdsong Guest

Nice photos Frank... Very nice.

5. RForshey

RForshey Guest

Wow, great shots Frank..

6. jfenton

jfenton

Jan 26, 2005
    Haverhill, MA
    Frank

We all would have been thrilled with these, especially to have successfully captured them in less than perfect conditions.

You know what I'm realizing? Sometimes, it's just plain wonderful to watch through the viewfinder....feel what you've witnessed....even if you know the pictures are less than perfect.

It doesn't matter pal...they are still great :)

7. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Lucky you!

These are great Frank! Persistance really paid off, didn't it!? Geat job, man!
    Technical question here: My exif viewer says you Spot metered and used -.7 exp comp. Why the spot metring choice, and do you think you still need that much negative exp comp in such fading light?

8. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Steve,

I was shooting in M mode, so the -.7 EV didn't have any effect. I set the metering to spot so that I can use my cam as a spot meter, that I use to self calibrate my manual shutter and aperture settings.

Thanks,

9. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Maybe you can teach me this great technique when we get together in Fab. As far as the Exp comp not functioning in Manual mode, I'm really having a hard time accepting this. I swear on a stack of bibles that I tried using varying degrees of Exp Comp in the studio, from 0 to + .6, and there was a definite difference in exp levels and blown highlights when going to the + side. Am I nuts? Can you possibly point me to a written article on this?

10. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Steve,

EV Comp does work for you because you shoot auto-ISO, right? When you shoot auto-ISO, even in M mode, the metering still controls one of the three parameters that sets the exposure. Since you have locked down S and A, it varies the ISO based on the metering.

11. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    ok, now I get it. Thanks for the explanation. Now, in Feb, if you can show me how to use the camera for a metering device! I'm not totally in the dark about this, but could use some pointers. Thanks again Frank!

12. Frank,

Those are very nice pictures. Glad they cooperated, by flying for you. I haven't been in that area for 15 years. When we lived in Grant we enjoyed the Dam area and the Lake.

13. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Ray,

I didn't know that you lived in Grant!! I have some friends that live there. Very nice place. :smile:

14. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Beautiful Flewwwwwwwwww...

Man o Man those are very dramitic Frank.. Especially 2-3-4-5

Good work.

Congratulations for success on the long hunt.

15. Hey there I can imagine how excited you were great shots under tough conditions hopefully they will cooperate with you in the future.

16. Beautiful!!!!

17. Oh my, what a majestic series Frank! I would not want to be on the receiving end of those claws!

18. Very nice Frank. hope you are out there right now getting more of these!

19. Like #2 and #4 the best Frank! Let's hope we can get a chance at these in Feb. If not, we'll have to get Harry to bring the stuffed one. Just hope everyone can keep a secret! No one else can see this msg, right?

20. HarryB

HarryB

Jan 28, 2005
    Viera, Florida
    Excellent shots Frank, especially when you consider the less than perfect light you were shooting in.