At the fence, on the run

Discussion in 'Sports Photography' started by Harry Lavo, Jul 6, 2007.

1. Posted this today on the DSLR forum, in a discussion on the limitations of 3fps for continuous shooting in sports.

It is usuable but not by much, picture of a running catch made in deep left-center field by the Holyoke Giants center fielder, Justin Little last night in a game with Vermont. I'd be interesting to hear from others here, but I consider this an even harder shot to get than a ball-on-bat shot. At least for me, it has taken over a year to get a usuable ball-in-glove-on-the-run-near-the-wall shot.

Please excuse the poor quality...it was an overcast night threatening to rain, and my main Nikon 2.8 lens was still at the Nikon repair depot..so I was using a Sigma 70-200 4.0-5.6 and had to throttle it back to 220mm just to get 1/250 for infield shots at iso800. As it turned out, shooting from beside home plate into the outfield, the light only allowed 1/180 so considering, I think the shot came out okay. It is, of course, a small blown up detail (about 1/10th, I would guess) of a 3000x2000 jpeg. The noise-reduction makes it "smeary" where out of focus, but the raw jpeg noise is worse. After this shot I did switch to iso1600 to get more speed.

And BTW, it was a single, not continuous, shot.

Centerfielder Justin Little on a dead run, robbing Vermont of at least a double in deep left-center (400ft).
    large.
    1/180s f/5.3 at 220.0mm iso800

2. Pardon my error...that was a Sigma 70-300 APO lense that I had throttled back.

3. GBRandy

GBRandy

Feb 28, 2006
    Green Bay, WI
    Actually the FPS thing is overrated IMHO. It is all about understanding the game and knowing how to time your shots. I rarely employ the "Spray & Pray" method of shooting.

Here is an extract from a pretty good baseball photog from another site that really drives the point home.....his technique and results are truly "professional". I was a bit leary about using his post, but he does have his ID on his photo and the words of advice he provides would do us all some good...PeterG posted the original shots that are being commented on....

The Photographers name is Dennis Wierzbicki......here goes:

4. GBRandy

GBRandy

Feb 28, 2006
    Green Bay, WI
    BTW...this was the very first shot in a sequence of two....just to prove Dennis's point...

[​IMG]

5. I agree whole heartedly, knowledge, experiance and practice rule over equipment.

6. It's good advice. I rarely burst shoot batters. I rarely burst shoot outfielders or infielders going after a fly ball. I do find burst shooting interesting for pickoffs, close plays at the bases, and the pitchers various "looks" at different points in his/her delivery. It's still timing, but shooting a sequence puts the starting point further from the ultimate point, so timing is more difficult. More fps can help increase the probabilities in these circumstances, that's all.

7. But all that being equal (and I'm certainly not there yet), faster equipment helps. Otherwise why all the D200s, D2Xs, and D2Hs on this forum?:biggrin:

8. GBRandy

GBRandy

Feb 28, 2006
    Green Bay, WI
    Those fancy Nikon's help....but if you read the advice, it won't fix poor timing and poor technique unless you get lucky. Good technique trumps good equipment every time.....