1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

At the Mouth of the River

Discussion in 'Landscapes, Architecture, and Cityscapes' started by fdevyatkin, Sep 30, 2008.

1. 2902736111_690d01729e_b.
    Savannah, GA

2. Oh my goodness!! I received this image in my RSS feed and had to check it out!! Outstanding!! You really captured the moment. Which camera and lens??

3. Thanks Crystall!
    D80 with the 80-200 2.8
    Fred

4. Thanks Louie.
    Fred

5. love it. great shot

6. Thanks Aldo.
    Fred

7. Please don't take this message the wrong way but what is so good about this photo? I have a terrible sense of composition and am seriously artistically challenged but I'm trying to overcome this by looking at good compositions and trying to analyze them. I'm sincerely looking for an answer as help for me.

Bruce

8. Bruce, I'm not going to defend my own work, but when you see a beautiful woman, or eat a delicious meal, you might try not to analyze anything. Just enjoy. If you don't, that's fine. I posted it because I liked the saltiness of it.
    No hard feelings.
    Fred

9. Fred, it's not a matter of defending your work, I'm not attacking it, I accept it's a good photograph, I just want to know what elements make it good and why did you choose to take it. I often take photos that "I enjoy" but they're boring. You may not be consciously "analyzing it" but what are you doing to constantly take good photos while I'm taking mediocre ones.

Bruce

10. johnmh

johnmh

Nov 21, 2007
    Greater NYC
    Love it... how far away were you? The offshore lighthouses around here require pretty long lenses - or a boat trip.

11. When I was a little boy, my father took me to the Frick museum, and we stood and stared for at least ten minutes at a Rembrandt called "The Polish Rider".
    Finally, my father said, "Rembrandt paints a horse so well you can smell it."
    I believe art imitates life. And when we do it well, we can feel it breathe.
    Hope this helps, Bruce.
    Fred

12. Thanks John.
    I was on a boat using a 80-200 2.8.
    Hence the need for speed.
    Fred

13. Hi Fred

An interesting image. I find it's lacking light, though. Even the auto levels in Photoshop gave it more "pop". Autocolors removed the blue cast on the ship, restoring the green of the containers.

Another thing missing, which I'm always looking for is more information - Where is this? what river? what's the name of the lighthouse?

Cheers,

Larry

14. Hi Larry,
    I did very little PP because the image was so accurate. This is where the Savannah River meets the Atlantic Ocean in south Georgia.
    I don't usually agree with "auto color" settings in PP.
    Thanks for your coments, Fred

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.