At the park

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Philippe Roger, Feb 13, 2005.

1. A friend of ours who has a beautiful Italian Greyhound came by and took us to the local school soccer field for some exercise. This dog is recovering from a broken leg caused by a running into a big(ger) dog last summer. Yes, they are fast but also very fragile!

Here is Belle cautiously playing with him.
    15819447-L.

And here are a couple captures of the speedy creature, at rest, because I didn't manage one sharp shot on the move (with 70-200 + 1.7TC). :)
    15822050-L.

15822051-L.

2. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Phillippe,

I think that the shot with Belle and the little Greyhound is pretty sharp. In any case, the 2nd and 3rd definitely are.... :eek:

Both cuties.

Regards,

Frank

3. Beautiful shots Phillippe. They are so sharp and with great color. Excellent.

4. Hi Philippe,

Excellent pictures, sharp and nice colors. Well composed too. In the Belle and greyhound picture, no doubut yoii have captured the moment. I love that one.

5. hans

hans

Feb 5, 2005
    The Netherlands
    Philippe
    Love that first one great capture
    It's an fragile little doggie,nervous I guess

6. GeeJay

GeeJay

Jan 26, 2005
    Florida
    Hi Philippe,

Your dog, Belle, looks like she's really concerned about her impact on the little dog. That's a great picture!

I know you'll have many more good photos of Belle romping with others.

Bet the owners of the beautiful Italian Greyhound like those pictures a lot too.

Thanks,

Gaye

7. All really great shots of a beautiful animal, but I like the first one best...really captures the playfulness...!

8. Belle....

is just one gorgeous dog what a sweetheart. the greyhound is nice, saw a documentary on how they are breed and treated and discarded by the racing industry what a shame. Nice series thanks for sharing

9. Thanks all

Thank you all for your very nice comments. We all had a blast, the dogs running, their owners going ohhh and ahhh at how the two interacted, and the photographer doing what little he could to capture that fun...

The Italian Greyhound is a toy breed, a miniature version of the full-sized Greyhound used for racing. They too can run quite fast, but without that impression of power that the full-sized one projects. They are so brittle and fragile: you can see light coming through their legs, around the achilles, for example. They can break their bones jumping off from something to the ground, if they are not careful. This one was run over (or run into) by a large dog, of Belle's size, while playing, without any malice or anything. That was enough to break one of his front legs and he had to have a plate, a cast... The whole ordeal lasted months, but he has fully recovered now and is running like the wind again! :D

I tried to capture him running, but the D70 focusing and my questionable skills conspired to give blurry images, particularly when running towards us! Hey, that's almost as difficult as birds in flight (I tried that once!). I'll be sure to try this again...

10. GeeJay

GeeJay

Jan 26, 2005
    Florida
    Hi Philippe,

I hope they don't use the Italian Greyhound at the races. I know they use Greyhounds but they seem bigger.

I don't know a lot about it but do know that many people here in Fort Myers adopt the Greyhounds that come from the racetrack when they're finished racing them..

I could never go to the racetrack and see the dogs race. I'd want to adopt all of them.

Hope to see more of your good dog pictures. Your Belle is a beauty!

Gaye

11. Super snaps, Philippe! But I'm not sure Belle will be happy being portrayed from the rear :wink:

Amazing how gentle she is with everyone... except you :D

12. Greyhounds, etc...

Hi Gaye,

I don't think the Italian Greyhounds are used for racing, and it's much better that way too: they are so incredibly fragile that there would be injuries all the time... Thank you so much for your comments on Belle: she's a very nice dog indeed, except to me as Frank pointed out: she tends to bite me, for fun of course!

13. Frank,

Thanks Frank. Don't worry, I have plenty from the front too, you know... I wanted to feature the Italian Greyhound, but if you insist, here is Belle after her run... a little tired and thirsty, wouldn't you say?

15920302-L.

You are right, she's amazingly careful to not hurt anyone or any other animal (you should see her with the kittens!), but has absolutely no qualms about biting me. It's a fun game, I'm sure, for her at least. :cry: