At the suet feeder

Discussion in 'Birds' started by drueter, May 4, 2005.

1. drueter

drueter

Apr 24, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    The suet feeder is a favorite for woodpeckers and several others. Here are a few from this week. All taken with the D2H & 300f4 AFS handheld. I'm taking these out an open window with the screen removed and still working on getting the lighting right. I took all of these without flash, but plan to work on that approach soon. Any comments/suggestions/critique welcome.

2. Good job and I especially like the little gold finch.

3. Wow, wonderful shots!! :D :D :D

4. We have a suet feeder out now as well, and are hoping that it will attract some of the larger birds over time. Glad to see that it works for you :lol:

Now that we have birds coming to the yard, I am having almost as much fun shooting them as going out for the "bigger" ones. It sure has its own set of challenges and the one big advantage of not having to walk far carrying the "heavy" stuff :wink:

Nice images, thanks for showing them.

5. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Don,

Very nice images. The only suggestion that I have was borrowed from Mike Mac, and that is to set up some branches around your feeders that the birds can use to perch as they move to and from the feeders. Mike gets some awesome shots that are very 'natural' with his set-up.

I plan to do the same once we get our back deck put in. Another idea might be to smear a little peanut butter around on the branches. 8)

6. drueter

drueter

Apr 24, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    Thanks to all for the comments! I like the idea of additional branches and maybe some extra peanut butter and will see what I can work out. This feeder is among 4 trees all larger than 6" diameter and about 15 feet from dense woods and a lot of other trees, so getting them to stay by the feeder may take that bit of extra tasty treat you suggest.