Critique At the suggestion of Mike Buckley 2 photos converted to B&W

For a lot more than you will ever want to know about Digital BW images look for some of the seminars /workshops by photographer Vincent Versace. There are several on you tube. Vincent Versace was one of the 1st ambassadors for Nikon as well as Epson and Lexar. Believe he was olso one of the 1st photographers who worked with Nik in the development of Silver Efex Pro. I remember way back when using Nikon Capture, before lightroom was introduced, and was forwarded by Vincent 3 or 4 of the Nik Color efex Pro filters and used the upoint technology in Nikon capture.

For me, though, color is so important emotionally. Black and white photos often don't elicit the same response. Maybe it's an acquired taste.

For many images color gets in the way and becomes a distraction. It's when the color detracts or fights with the intended emotion or feel of the image that it will make a good B&W. Dorothea Lange's "Migrant Mother" would probably not have the impact and emotion it does had it been in color.

These two you chose look great in black and white. I love how the sky takes more prominence in the B&W versions. If you have a newer mirrorless camera, you can change the image taking to B&W and the viewfinder will show you the picture in B&W. I love this feature in my Z cameras and it helps me to decide if I want to shoot the scene that way. Apparently the RAW files are still saved in color in case you want to go back after the fact.

Ill
2 great shots Terri, since the snow is white already B&W really works

I think these look nice, Terri. I like things about both the color and B&W versions.

Thank you. I agree that both have their good points. It’s fun to experiment.
For a lot more than you will ever want to know about Digital BW images look for some of the seminars /workshops by photographer Vincent Versace. There are several on you tube. Vincent Versace was one of the 1st ambassadors for Nikon as well as Epson and Lexar. Believe he was olso one of the 1st photographers who worked with Nik in the development of Silver Efex Pro. I remember way back when using Nikon Capture, before lightroom was introduced, and was forwarded by Vincent 3 or 4 of the Nik Color efex Pro filters and used the upoint technology in Nikon capture.
For many images color gets in the way and becomes a distraction. It's when the color detracts or fights with the intended emotion or feel of the image that it will make a good B&W. Dorothea Lange's "Migrant Mother" would probably not have the impact and emotion it does had it been in color.
Thank you, John. You give some good advice. You are always so helpful. I’ll check out some videos right away!

I really got a lot a long time ago out of his book, From Oz to Kansas -- Almost every black-and-white conversion known to man. It's style isn't for everyone, but it worked well for me.
Sounds like a useful book. Thank you
Yes..I use a modified version using several HueSat adj layers for the BW conversion then use D&B, SEP and Color Efex pro to further finish the image.

You shared your method with me last year. I still use so much of what you taught me. I started to watch a Versace video last night. It was very good. Hopefully I can finish it today.

I started to watch a Versace video last night.

If you're getting a lot from the Versace video, you might want to hold off on getting the book. It has a lot of philosophical and technical stuff to wade through (if that sort of thing doesn't interest you). It's also quite dated now in terms of the specific software applications he explains in step-by-step instructions. That's unless he's updated the book and I don't know if he's done so.

Excellent conversions, Terri. You know I am a color person, too, but I do, rarely, dip into the B&W genre.

The only thing I would change about these is to add a subtle bit of texture to the large expanse of empty snow in the lower right-hand corner of the first one. In DxO PL4 I would use a local adjust and the micro contrast slider to do this, but I'm sure there must be a similar tool in Lightroom or PS.

But they are fine as is.

Real Name
Ken St John
These are really nice!!

A favorite local pro who shot a wonderful series called "My Northwest" for the Seattle Times for years, Josef Scalea, had a book about how he took his dramatic B&W's back in the film days. One thing he mentioned, was almost always using an Orange filter (with B&W film) as he felt it really enhanced the images. Remembering his advice, I generally at least try to apply the orange filter (in LR or Silver eFex) just to see what it adds. Most of the time, it looks better, whether the scene is indoors or outdoors.

Cheers!!

Ken

Excellent conversions, Terri. You know I am a color person, too, but I do, rarely, dip into the B&W genre.

The only thing I would change about these is to add a subtle bit of texture to the large expanse of empty snow in the lower right-hand corner of the first one. In DxO PL4 I would use a local adjust and the micro contrast slider to do this, but I'm sure there must be a similar tool in Lightroom or PS.

But they are fine as is.
Thank you, Jim. I like your suggestion to add texture. I’ll give it a try next time I’m at my computer.

These are really nice!!

A favorite local pro who shot a wonderful series called "My Northwest" for the Seattle Times for years, Josef Scalea, had a book about how he took his dramatic B&W's back in the film days. One thing he mentioned, was almost always using an Orange filter (with B&W film) as he felt it really enhanced the images. Remembering his advice, I generally at least try to apply the orange filter (in LR or Silver eFex) just to see what it adds. Most of the time, it looks better, whether the scene is indoors or outdoors.

Cheers!!

Ken
Thanks, Ken. I’m experimenting with color filters. They make a difference!

Those are very nice B&W conversions Terri. But the color images have life in them if you see what I mean. So, I prefer the color ones.

Those are very nice B&W conversions Terri. But the color images have life in them if you see what I mean. So, I prefer the color ones.

I totally understand that sentiment. Thanks for looking and sharing your honest opinion!!
I definitely prefer the B&W versions, especially the silos. Shape and texture; more drama in the sky. But that's just me.

Thank you. I'm glad you like what I did with the photos.
Both have exceptional tones and nice composition too.
Thank you so much.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom