Athlete or Thug?

Discussion in 'People' started by srwatters, Mar 24, 2007.

1. srwatters

srwatters

Feb 27, 2006
    Plano, TX
    I'm trying to decide if this is a character study or the hood is too much...

Model: Tim
    MUA: Carly Erin

Nikon D200, Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED-IF AF-S VR
    ISO 100, f/4.0, 1/250 @ 125mm
    [​IMG]

Or maybe a low key B&W?

[​IMG]

Opinions?

2. I like both Scott............ but I'm leaning towards the B/W.......... the white edge of the hood frames his face nicely in this one and draw you to his face/eyes... where we should be looking.

Great PP on the B/W image....... good tone, detail and contrast!

G

3. BigPixel

BigPixel Guest

Ditto Graeme. It could even go a few notches darker in contrast.

4. I like them both, but prefer the b&w. Nice pic... very intense!

5. Chev71

Chev71 Guest

I like the color one..

6. srwatters

srwatters

Feb 27, 2006
    Plano, TX
    If you're interested, here's a 100% crop from the original full size tif. Be warned it's nearly 400K in size. The 70-200mm VR at f/4.0 is tack sharp.

7. Colour - thug. B&W - artistic, I like it. One's perception is clouded by one's surroundings too. I live in the heart of the city where hoods = thugs. You have to take this into account with my opinion.

Very nicely executed, the way you've converter to B&W to have the red the same tones as his skin is excellent, indeed! There's more power in the B&W than the colour photograph.

Well done!

8. Ottrott's Human

Ottrott's Human

May 21, 2006
    USA
    Scott,
    I don't think thug at all when I see this photo. Very nice actually. I like both the color and B&W equally.....both very good....no preference.

I see Sandi's point though about perception. Not really too many thugs around where I live so I just don't tend to think along those lines.

9. Clothing doesn't make the thug, the look in the eyes does.

This is obviously a nice guy. Can't fake not being that.

10. Agree completely. Those eyes! Nice job.

Rich

11. Beezle, totally agree. Just the look of the hood to me.

This man has beautifully warm eyes and it shows through no matter colour or B&W.

12. Focus Pocus

Focus Pocus

Oct 19, 2006
    Boise, Idaho
    Great image! I like the B&W version best - good job on that conversion! What was your lighting set-up?

Thanks!
    Richard

13. Scott, I actually like the color version better...not sure why...

Maybe if the b+w was against a pure black background...don't know.

Both are excellent, however...both have their own feel and interpretation...Nicely done, as always.

14. Scott,

I also like the color shot better. I think environment colors our perception of thug or athlete. Because this is a studio shot I'm more inclined to say athlete.

Mike

15. haha. definitely doesn't scream thug to me - maybe old navy or gap. :-P i like b/w

16. I agree with this comment. I didn't see thug at all. His face looks kind.

edit: Oh, I just noticed that this had already been quoted on the second page. Oh well :) I like the color best, btw.