Athletic Bookends

Discussion in 'Photojournalism, Candids and Street Photography' started by eng45ine, Aug 28, 2005.

1. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    I shot some H.S. football this weekend and thought that I'd post this image of a Senior running back blasting through a very spacious hole in the front line. I had a terrible time trying (over-trying) to maintain highlights in the white uniforms of the visiting team.

Please feel free to offer helpful criticism or comments to help me learn.

2. WOW I could run through that hole... for 5 yards but I could run through it. This looks really y good Frank you should be pleased with your results

3. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Thanks Mike...for the most part, I am happy. But the image looks a bit hot to me. The sun was low and I was playing with -0.7 EV.

4. twig

twig

May 23, 2005
    you were playing with -.7ev, does that mean you were using Aperture priority mode? How are you metering and what are you metering on?

I think you will be happier with exposure if you shoot manually, unless your field has wildly varying patches of sun and shadow.

As for blown highlights on white uniforms, if in reality they look blown - or rather very white with the sun all glinting off them, then I say let them blow in your photos- as long as the faces are visible (properly exposed and good detail) and your crop is tight (this is a fine crop) I think blowing highlightsi nthe white uniforms is no big deal at all.

5. Frank, I think you did a fine job on this one!!!

6. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Thanks for the critique, Twig. Digital photography is so brand new to me and I am trying too hard to be perfect with my exposures using a camera that I know so little about. I am not pleased with the results of the four games that I shot this past weekend. I am going to do some research on proper settings and go back to basics without trying so hard to retain highlights.

7. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Thanks Kev...this image actually came out okay with some minor tweaking using levels and USM. I'm learning...the hard way so far this season.