1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Atlanta Braves Baseball

Discussion in 'Sports Photography' started by Dave, Aug 7, 2007.

1. Dave

Dave

Feb 7, 2007
    Suwanee, GA
    The wife and I scored some free tickets for the Braves vs. Rockies game on Friday 8/3/07. The seats were not very close, but close enough. We enjoyed the game even though the Rockies won handily. I only took a handful of shots...here were the best with the light dwindling by the second.

John Smoltz pitching...although not very well on this night
    [​IMG]

Newly acquired Mark Teixeira takes a big cut, but comes up empty (he hit a HR later)
    [​IMG]

Chipper Jones connects on a long fly to center while Mark Teixeira looks on
    [​IMG]

Brian McCann takes a vicious swing, but only fouls the pitch off as John Smoltz watches
    [​IMG]

Matt Diaz makes the catch in Left Field (where we were sitting)
    [​IMG]

And lastly a shot of the neon Braves sign and tomahawk over the large HD scoreboard in center field towards the end of the game (taken by my wife)
    [​IMG]

All shots with my D50 and 80-200 AF-ED lens.

2. Very nice great job the WB looks dead on which can be hard at these parks

3. Dave

Dave

Feb 7, 2007
    Suwanee, GA
    Thanks Mike...I was really lusting for the 300/2.8 VR lens that night (and a better seat). I didn't go above ISO 400 and luckily my shutter speed didn't suffer too much...if I went to 800 it might have been better but the noise wouldn't have been that great. I was very impressed with the auto WB that I took these shots with. They were RAW but I didn't even change the WB in PP as they looked spot on from the get go.

I took them with center weighted matrix metering BTW.

4. Randy

Randy

May 11, 2006
    very impressive

5. Randy

Randy

May 11, 2006

next time try auto iso on the d50.
    Auto ISO will get you iso-s in between the stops you can manually set.

6. Hey Peet,

It's great to go to the game, but even better when it's free!! and you get some nice shots too. I have to say I like the first two the best, and the one of the Braves sign, maybe that should be your avatar now? :) 

7. Dave

Dave

Feb 7, 2007
    Suwanee, GA
    Thanks Randy...I've never really played with auto-iso yet, but I guess I should give it a try the next time I find the light dwindling. I'll try it next time.

8. Dave

Dave

Feb 7, 2007
    Suwanee, GA
    Yeah, I might make it my avatar...thanks for the idea!

9. Yeah! Now that's awesome! Nice new Avatar.

10. Dave

Dave

Feb 7, 2007
    Suwanee, GA
    Heh...yeah I like it.

I've been a Braves fan since I started playing Baseball when I was 4...it sucked watching them lose for all those years, but the last decade + has been nice.

11. Nice shots Dave, even if they are of the Braves.:rolleyes: 

That auto ISO is a good tip Randy. I'll have to try it on the D50. Thanks.

12. Dave

Dave

Feb 7, 2007
    Suwanee, GA
    Yeah well, photography can bring us all together...right Larry? :biggrin:

I can't wait for the series to start tonight! You got tickets for any of the next 3 games?

13. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Very nice Dave, no nits from me on any of these. These are as good as it gets. Nicely done for sure.

14. Dave

Dave

Feb 7, 2007
    Suwanee, GA
    Thanks Frank...I can't wait until we can score some seats up close (and hopefully for a day game) then I can get some facial expressions. :biggrin:

15. I enjoyed these Dave. The shot of Smoltz is especially good. BTW, I watched this game on television. Not the best game, but I'll bet you had a great time.

I sure hope the Braves pick up some ground on the Mets in the series that starts tonight.

16. Great images Dave. Got to go to the ballgame soon. Go Braves.

17. Dave

Dave

Feb 7, 2007
    Suwanee, GA
    Thanks Dave and Sam. Yeah Dave it was a good game to watch, just not that much fun for the Braves. It was rather humid and sticky though and I think I lost 5 pounds of sweat just sitting there in my seat.

18. Nice job, some very fine shots -- got a lot out of the D50/80-200 combo, I think. That lens is a great mainstay for sports photography and the D50 is a capable little sucker.

Just out of curiousity, did you shoot monopod, or handheld?

19. Dave

Dave

Feb 7, 2007
    Suwanee, GA
    All handheld, they won't let you bring a monopod into Turner Field (the pro stadium). I used my knees to prop my elbows on them for support when my arms got tired.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.