Atlanta Skyline at Night

Discussion in 'Landscapes, Architecture, and Cityscapes' started by ga_d_five-o, Jun 28, 2007.

1. ga_d_five-o

ga_d_five-o

May 13, 2006
    NE GA, USA
    Saturday Night, June 23 we drove the 60+ miles into downtown to set up on the Jackson St Bridge (along with cgaengineer and family)

This was my first attempt at city lights, using my D50 and mostly the Nikon 70-300mm lens

#1 I know, the tree tops in the foreground!--:redface:
    5288Lg.

5267Lg.

#3 Torch
    5321Lg.

Then we headed over to Hartsfield Int'l Airport,
    .....and after getting security clearance.....

5335Lg.

I'm not much of a city person but the night and lights were fun to shoot, and equally so, to process the photos.

(I have some others I may post; but they contain registered trademark names (hotels, restaurants etc) and although they were taken in public, I'm still not sure if it's considered infringement/violation.)

Thanks for any C&C!

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  2. Great shots. I like number 4 the best.

3. ga_d_five-o

ga_d_five-o

May 13, 2006
    NE GA, USA
    Thanks Noah,
    We had hoped for more "taking off" shots, but by midnight, there was mostly incoming flights only.

4. Patty,

Have to agree, the airport shot is great. Who did you ask for "security clearance"? I travel quite a bit, and I'm always a little uncomfortable taking my cmaera out at the airport. It normally stays in my bag, and I know I've missed some good ones.

Steve

5. Very nice work Patty!

6. I'm definitely OK with the treetops in the foreground. It puts a little context around the shot and what the heck I'm a country boy anyway!

I like #1 maybe it could be a little darker?

7. ga_d_five-o

ga_d_five-o

May 13, 2006
    NE GA, USA
    Actually, as we unloaded our cameras and tripods on top of the parking deck, a security person asked us some questions and then asked us to wait until she checked with her supervisor. (just doing her job and rightly so). The supervisor came by, asked some questions and gave us the "ok".

I KNOW what you mean about feeling uncomfortable..I SURE did. A few days earlier we saw our daughter off on her trip to Germany and I brought my point and shoot to take photos inside the terminal area and felt like any minute, someone from TSA was going to come over and ask for my camera.

I only took 4 snapshots in the terminal with the P&S, but everytime the flash fired, people stopped and turned around---all the while DHS audio is being looped over the loudspeakers to watch for suspicious activity and report anything that seems suspicous.
    Ugh, the new normal, but I do understand.

8. ga_d_five-o

ga_d_five-o

May 13, 2006
    NE GA, USA
    Hi Dave!
    Good to see you and thanks!

9. ga_d_five-o

ga_d_five-o

May 13, 2006
    NE GA, USA
    Hi Dan,

Thank you!
    I was surprised to see the photos showed so much blue in the sky too.
    We were set up on the bridge before dusk, so I may have taken the most of my shots too soon after nightfall.
    We were totally surrounded by halogen street lighting up on the bridge.

I know I took some shots with a smaller aperture, but I don't see that it made much difference.
    The blue does help to cool off the predominantly "warm" glow from the street lights.

I appreciate you bringing that up, good point!
    (and a future challenge for the next city-at-night shoot!)