1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Atlantic hurricane season?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by LindaZ, Aug 15, 2008.

1. LindaZ

LindaZ

Jul 29, 2007
    Wilmington, NC
    As I am moving to Pine Knoll Shores in a 14 days or so, I thought I would ask some of you about Hurricanes. How do I photograph them?

Just kidding, I am more concerned about safety. Isn't it the season for hurricanes just about....um....now?

2. LOL!!! You are silly. I actually wanted to be a storm chaser at one time. I love storms. I live on a huge farm so I usually sit outside and watch them roll in for miles.

NC can get some pretty big hurricanes, even 4 hours inland where I am. If things get too bad, though, you can always leave. You'll usually notice them rolling in 2-3 days ahead of time, so you'll have plenty of time. Just keep an eye on the news and they should keep you updated.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

3. Now it is and run for your life.:eek:  I will batten down the hatches (house) and hop in my RV and head for the hills. I'll come back a few days after the storm has past. If you live in an evacuation area then Please evacuate your Life is worth allot more. Secure all windows and door with shutters or plywood and contrary to popular belief Duct Tape will Not work. Have enough water and food for 3 days for each person, flash lights, battery and battery operated radio. or just Google for more info. We're looking at a low heading our way as I write this. RV has a full tank of gas and ready to go.:biggrin:

4. LindaZ

LindaZ

Jul 29, 2007
    Wilmington, NC
    :biggrin: Thanks Stacey

We have a friend in Greenville, would that in general be far enough? It's only about a 2 hour drive inland, but I believe there's forest between.

Probably a better option than where we will live. lol

Check out this map

Of course I will evacuate, I'm not suicidal...

5. vinman

vinman

Nov 15, 2006
    Upstate SC
    Linda, looks like you are in one of the capes, so flooding is your biggest concern (the leading northwest quadrant of a hurricane pushes water ahead of it, causing the tidal surges that can be the most devastating). The wind is pretty much the same everywhere. My former in-laws (out-laws?) lived on the OUter Banks for 8 years (Nag's Head), and we visited at least three times per year. My favorite time to go was in late fall because the storms were so fantastic! On two occasions there were "wash-overs" while we were there (during nor' easters) - the water actually briefly covers the whole barrier island a few inches deep. Looks like you are just off the barrier islands, so that may not be an issue for you.

Also looks like you are very, very close to the OB as the crow flies, but quite a drive by car! Is there ferry service to get you up there, or do you have to drive back inland to get there? I'm not familiar with the area you are moving to, but I absolutely LOVE the OB. If you haven't spent any time there, you guys should check it out.

6. LindaZ

LindaZ

Jul 29, 2007
    Wilmington, NC
    Great to know, thanks for the info Vinman. I am not familiar with the area we're moving to as well...lol. Never been there! Husband got a job there, as a marine biologist.

7. www.nhc.noaa.gov

the bible of hurricane info
    we watch it VERY CLOSELY where I live

8. LindaZ

LindaZ

Jul 29, 2007
    Wilmington, NC
    Perfect Greg, thank you so much. Not that I understand much of the lingo :Curved:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.