Atlantis Launch

Discussion in 'Transportation' started by robin, Jun 9, 2007.

1. I went to shoot the launch of the space shuttle Atlantis last evening with several friends, Gale, Harryb, Mike Mac, Nancy and Patrick. We met at our favorite shooting spot, a hidden away little diner with a tiki bar on the river directly across from the launch pads.
    As the crow flies we are 12 miles from the pad. It's as close as you can get without a VIP pass, now reserved for family and media (3 miles) or Visitor Center Tickets around $75 each (7 miles).

Liftoff Atlantis
    [​IMG]

She Begins the Roll
    [​IMG]

Roll is Complete
    [​IMG]

Cloud Trail after Launch. She launched from Pad A which is just to the right of the "little" white security boat and to the left of the VAB
    [​IMG]

Atlantis is the lower left dot, the SRB's have just separated and are falling back to earth
    [​IMG]

Close up of the Cloud Trail, I just love the way the trail moves with the wind, it makes such lovely patterns before it dissapates
    [​IMG]

Cloud Trail
    [​IMG]

Magic Cloud . . . This was a very strange cloud formation that appeared some time after the launch was over. We were sitting under the awning at the tiki bar having a beer, chimping at each others images, tickled at what we may have captured, hoping for the best (can't reshoot! - till the next launch anyway), sharing a few jokes and letting the crazy traffic die down. I've never seen this after a launch before so I have no idea where it came from, it's beautiful so I shot it.
    [​IMG]

Our Secret Spot and Magic Cloud
    [​IMG]

2. Wonderful shots. I saw it on TV and was thinking of you guys as I couldn't make it there.

3. Rick727

Rick727

Jun 1, 2007
    Hamilton, NJ
    Robin, those are some great shots. Must be a real treat to see and hear live. In that last picture of yours, the smoke trails kind of look like the aurora borealis. Thanks for sharing.

4. Well done!! That cloud formation was really strange! Had a great time and enjoyed meeting you, Mike and Harry. Meet up with you soon.

Cheers
    Nancy

5. Great series. The Cafe was well represented there. Looks like you had a good time.

6. Rick, Alex and Nancy,

Thank you for your kind comments!
    We had a very good time! Hope you can make it over for the next one.
    Give us a shout if you can make it.

That cloud formation was really strange and beautiful too, I've never seen that before and it did resemble the aurora!

Nancy, I really enjoyed meeting you and Patrick and we'll have to get together and do some shooting. You have my card, just shoot me an email or call. I took a look at your site this morning, WONDERFUL! Those GC shots are awesome and the Lemurs are fantastic, I really like lemurs!!!

Robin

7. Beautiful set, Robin. Love every shot.

8. Andyc

Andyc

Nov 6, 2006
    South Wales UK
    Superb photo's. I would love to see a launch one day.

Best regards
    Andy

9. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Fantastic Girl
    Great job
    What a great day we had.
    Eat, Drink, Laugh and a launch.
    Don't get no better than that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10. Thanks for looking at the website and glad you like the pics:smile:. Unfortunately I had forget to reset my AF from S to C for the take off:Dizzy::redface::mad::frown:. I think it is called old timers disease, but I had a few other words for it!! I guess I will just have to make another launch. All the nice equipment in the world cannot help if the brain behind the camera has shut down:rolleyes:
    Will be in touch.

Nancy

11. PGB

PGB

Jan 25, 2005
    Robin,

These are awesome!!! Wish we could have been there with you all.

Regards,

12. cknight

cknight

May 2, 2005
    Madison, AL
    Cool shots Robin.
    What focal length were you using?

I'd like to make it down there for a launch before they retire the shuttle.

13. Great shots.

Back in the pre-Challenger accident days, I was at the press site (3 miles away) for several launches. Although the view was great, what I remember most was the noise and vibration of launch ... you can really "feel" it pounding in your chest. A tremendous thrill and something I'll NEVER forget.

Cheers!!

Ken

14. Nice shots!

What camera/lens did you use? Settings etc??

I saw the launch from the Astronaut Hall of Fame building. Your shots turned out better than mine. I was using my 70 - 200 VR. I wish I would have had a TC. I guess I now will have a good reason to buy more gear if I go to another launch. :biggrin:

Those clouds after the launch were interesting!! The traffic afterwards was insane. I was staying in Lakeland. It took us about 2 hours to get there. On the drive back it took us 3 hours to go 30 miles!!:eek: It took 4 hours to get back to Lakeland. Next time I will get a place to stay nearby...