Atmospheric Effects aka Heat Waves

Real Name
Dan
This topic comes up fairly frequently. Most people think it is only an issue when shooting across a hot surface. However it can occur at any temperature. The phenomenon is not caused by high temperatures but rather by temperature differences in the air. The overall temperature can be quite cold and thermal effects can still occur.

This morning while enjoying my morning coffee I noticed that there was an extreme amount of atmospheric distortion in our view of the valley/inlet. In the valley below( image no.2) it was 21F(-6C) and calm. At our house it was 29F(-2C) with 20-30mph wind. The temperature inversion was due to the warm "chinook" wind blowing down the mountain.

The white at bottom of frame in image no.2 is a frozen lake with a couple of feet of snow covering it. Also it was early morning and heavily overcast. So the distortion is certainly not due to heat rising from the surface. The difference in conditions caused a layer of turbulent air of variable temperature/density between the camera and the subject. That is the cause of the "heat wave" effect. Without the wind/turbulence a temperature inversion like this can cause distortion but it manifests itself as a shift in apparent position or stretching of the distant object rather than the wavy effect. That phenomenon is known as "fata morgana" as seen in image no.3.

D850(DX mode), 500mm PF, 1/1000s f8 ISO800, handheld, images received exactly the same minimal PP/crop in LR, only sharpening was during export to jpeg

1) Focused on spruce tree about 200 ft from camera.
p2308853548-5.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

2) Focused on the house about a mile distant and several hundred feet lower elevation.
p2308853562-5.jpg

3) Fata Morgana effect on distant mountains shot on a calm, extremely cold day.
p4101388415-6.jpg

Last edited:

Commodorefirst

Admin/Moderator
Administrator
And it can be particularly bad across open water, and a plowed field too. Great demonstration images.

F64

Real Name
Greg
When we lived on Lake Erie, there were often inversions on the horizon that actually reflected images of lake freighters that were over the horizon - upside down in the air above the lake. I didn't have any telephotos in those days, so I was never able to get a good picture of the phenomenon.
It was a great location for lightning photos - and once I saw ball lightning - but of course, missed the shot.

Normal refraction also means you can see beyond the horizon. If I remember right it's 14" of arc per kilometre the light bends, on average.

F64

Real Name
Greg
Normal refraction also means you can see beyond the horizon. If I remember right it's 14" of arc per kilometre the light bends, on average.
Yes - but I couldn't explain how the ships would appear upside down unless there was an inversion that reflected the over the horizon image like a mirage on hot pavement.

F64

Real Name
Greg
If they were so far away, how do you know they weren't upside down? :p
Ha! You got me there. They were right side up as they steamed west across Lake Erie in front of me until they disappeared over the horizon and then popped up in the air above the water upside down. And no, I don't drink LOL. We lived in Southwestern Ontario right across from the Enrico Fermi nuclear generating station.

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
It's called a "superior mirage" when you get a ship floating in the sky. They can be the right way up or upside down. Scroll down to that heading:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mirage

Here are two recent ones seen here in England in March this year:
1620029426490.png
1620029542823.png

Last edited:

kilofoxtrott

European Ambassador
Real Name
Klaus
Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom