Attempt #2 at bracketing

Discussion in 'Landscapes, Architecture, and Cityscapes' started by virtuamike, Mar 23, 2005.

1. Still a new technique for me. Next time I'll use a tripod so I don't have to spend as much time blending.

[​IMG]

Today was variety day, rest can be viewed here:
    http://naruto.ucdavis.edu/images/20050323/

Critique away :D

2. Mike,

Can you elaborate on your bracketing method. This came out right on the money.

3. dkapp

dkapp

Mar 18, 2005
    San Francisco
    Did you take multiple exposures, or process the same file twice, one for shadows, one for highlights?

It would be interesting to see the first two images before the blending if you don't mind.

Dave

4. Multiple exposures. Here they are straight from the camera:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I'm lazy and I just used the bracketing on the D70 (+-1 EV I think).

Everything is done with layer masks. The first 2 make up the foreground (you can see a very slight graduation running diagonal where the seam is). Background and sky got pulled from the last shot. Layer and contrast on each layer to taste, flatten & sharpen, and that's about it. I found the best way to hide seams is to make sure they don't run straight. Like on the foreground, I used a diagonal gradient to start with and then paintbrush to fill in spots. Great way to extend dynamic range without pushing the RAWs too far.

5. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Very cool technique Mike. Thanks for sharing!!

Frank